Freediving/Snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jakeypoo

Registered
Reaction score
Hey folks, been a couple years since i was last on here. Back then i was just a regular swimmer, wanting to partake in any type of diving i could. Last summer i got my first set of snorkeling gear (Mask and snorkel, no fins yet) and im already in love! Had LOTS of fun! Found a clear lake with 20+ feet of visibility, and plenty of local fish to look at. I have evn kept a few basic logs. I havent been able to get the depth right, but i have logged 35 or so free dives. Now i want to know where to go from here. I am lacking money at this point which i understand is crucial. But i want some advice as to where/how to continue my underwater experience and progress further into eventually SCUBA.

Hey folks, been a couple years since i was last on here. Back then i was just a regular swimmer, wanting to partake in any type of diving i could. Last summer i got my first set of snorkeling gear (Mask and snorkel, no fins yet) and im already in love! Had LOTS of fun! Found a clear lake with 20+ feet of visibility, and plenty of local fish to look at. I have evn kept a few basic logs. I havent been able to get the depth right, but i have logged 35 or so free dives. Now i want to know where to go from here. I am lacking money at this point which i understand is crucial. But i want some advice as to where/how to continue my underwater experience and progress further into eventually SCUBA.

First off, I'd recommend you go the the Wisconsin Freedive-a-Palooza (July 25-27 at lake Wazee). https://www.facebook.com/events/712528882108930/?ref=5

That is where you will meet a lot of other local Wisconsin divers who can help guide you on your underwater quest. As for equipment: I think a pair of fins and a wetsuit will be next on your list.

---------- Post added May 28th, 2014 at 01:46 PM ----------

I just looked at the palooza site, and I see that they are offering an FII level 1 freediving course at the event. Lucky for you I think. Most people end up flying across the country to learn.

I would strongly recommend taking a course. I used to free-dive before I got certified and then I learned I was doing some dangerous things. You can look up stuff on line but its no substitute for proper instruction and an experienced/trained buddy. Not to mention how using correct techniques will get you deeper and longer.

Find a buddy to train / dive with. Better still, find a club to learn from. Free diving has a few risks that need to be managed. Also, as has been said - fins and a wetsuit (and weight belt) will make a difference.

Its really nice to know that you want to have some progress with your freediving. I think its really good to take some classes and I think its good to at least experience every countries beach with this water sports. I have tried Snorkeling in Sri Lanka , I would say that this is the best experience I ever had. I am hoping to go back there some time.:blinking:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom