new here and would like some helpful information - thanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drexb

New
Reaction score
Cancer radiation treatment has destroyed over half of my formal lung capacity and i find i am no longer able to do the snorkeling that i have enjoyed in the past. i am wondering if there is some sort of assisted breathing device that i could use use to casually snorkel along the waters here in florida. i am content to mainly stay on the surface and maybe take a deep breath to go down 5 or 6 feet once in a while - i am 61 and not interested in testing myself or push any limits but i am quite disapointed that i cant paddle along at look at the part of the world i like so much.... thanks

That would work but the tow-behind models start around $2000-2500 and up. The dock mounted or portable dry units are about 1/2 that but you're limited to the length of the hose - about 60' in most cases.

Here's a link to the above: http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-152/Hookah-Systems.html

Cancer radiation treatment has destroyed over half of my formal lung capacity and i find i am no longer able to do the snorkeling that i have enjoyed in the past. i am wondering if there is some sort of assisted breathing device that i could use use to casually snorkel along the waters here in florida. i am content to mainly stay on the surface and maybe take a deep breath to go down 5 or 6 feet once in a while - i am 61 and not interested in testing myself or push any limits but i am quite disapointed that i cant paddle along at look at the part of the world i like so much.... thanks

Would be helpful, if you could give us a rough idea of your current athletic capability and limitations, i.e walking, jogging, swimming etc. Are you working out in some form, and if so, what can you do?

Consider a pony tank side slung with a quality venturi/adjustable regulator. You can adjust that to the point of it "force feeding" you air. a 20-30cf. tank would be relatively unobtrusive and light. I do this over reef tops so I don't have to fuss with a snorkel and can stay at a few feet a lot longer than holding my breath. You might have to put a smidgen of air in your snorkel vest at the surface initially. With that kind of lung issue you might NOT consider going any deeper than a couple of feet on compressed air or by holding your breath, since you might collapse a lung. I think discussing this aspect with a doctor in dive medicine and pulmonology would be an excellent idea BEFORE you do ether.

Without a c-card where's he going to fill it?

drexb, I feel your pain. I had to set out the best part of the year as a lung cancer patient. I am now back snorkeling and diving, but am still recovering strength, stamina and wind. I recommend AGAINST using any assisting equipment. Rather, select places shallow enough to stand and with a bottom composition it is ok to stand on. Otherwise, go with a friend/buddy who has rescue skills and who can swim right along side you,and tow/push you as needed. That will work out if you have sufficient stamin to engagin in physical exertion equivalent to wlaking. If you do not, then, sadly, you should stay out of the water.
DicvemasterDennis

Inhale through the snorkel but exhale through nose only. The air thus travels one way only and you don't need extra lung capasity for that snorkelfull of bad air... I don't know if that would have any measurable effect. Just an idea...

If this makes the mask fog, use swimming goggles instead. There are ones that offer wide view too. Check the swimming shops. Also get a front mounted swimmers snorkel from the same shop.

The bubbles could be annoying.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that EasyBreath snorkel improves on air quality or reduces breathing resistance. It more looks like a breathe-through-the-nose thing. But... one never knows...

Often the key to economical swimming is a comfortable position and suit and the relaxation of mind and unneeded muscles. How relaxed can you drift away?

Are your kicks relaxed and efficient? Good fins? Keep feet floating?

Efficiency cuts oxygen consumption. Low speed does also. You probably also want fresh air. Large airspaces where air travels back and forth should be avoided.

In addition, breathing resistance may have a role.

The adaptation of body and the personal limits are best discussed with a physician, not with me.

Also plan for currents, waves and wind so that you don't need to fight them but just wait for the boat.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom