Freediving camera & computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveNav

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
we are developing a new App (and a sensor) to use a smartphone (inside an underwater housing) as a camera and freedive (and scuba dive) computer.

What features would you like to see specifically for freediving?

Thanks.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Freedive computer requirements are pretty simple really:
* current depth
* max depth (for this dive - or the last dive once you are back at the surface)
* dive time
* surface time (important to not dive too soon after the last dive e.g. if I have done a 1:30 dive then I will stay on the surface for 3 min or more)
* possibly a depth and time alarm (or series of alarms)
* ability to chart the dive profile (descent rate over time) once back home (or on the boat)

Thank you for the feedback.

......* possibly a depth and time alarm (or series of alarms)......
How many depth alarms? And how many dive time alarms?

.....* ability to chart the dive profile (descent rate over time) once back home (or on the boat)
Log will be available immediately on the smartphone.
How many dives are usually done during a free diving session?
Should the App generate a log / chart for each individual dive? Or just a log / chart for the overall session?

Hi,
we are developing a new App (and a sensor) to use a smartphone (inside an underwater housing) as a camera and freedive (and scuba dive) computer.

What features would you like to see specifically for freediving?

Thanks.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Max depth of freedives.....last depth of last drop.....average time spent resting on the surface between dives....av bottom time on all drops, and last bottom time for last drop-with depth...
Option to run a fiber optic line up to the surface to dive flag, with GPS antennae allowing Smart phone to track location and time of drops...and distance covered in each drop **** I don't really expect this feature, but it would be cool !!!

Find a good underwater housing for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 !!!!!!!!!

....Option to run a fiber optic line up to the surface to dive flag, with GPS antennae allowing Smart phone to track location and time of drops...and distance covered in each drop ****....
We already use the smartphone gps receiver to record position / time for descent and ascent and show both points on the map.

.....Find a good underwater housing for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 !!!!!!!!!
Unfortunately none of the manufacturers we are working with has (or is planning to have) an housing for a Note 3 :no:
But one of them is working on a housing for an iPad :wink:

Spearfishing - I would do LOTS of dives over the course of a day (but mostly less than 20m). GPS might be interesting for this - but really would be a bit of a gimmick. Also, if I do a 2 or 3 hr session in the water in the morning and then another session in the afternoon I will have definitely flattened the smartphone battery well before the end of the day if it is running the GPS.

Freedive training - probably a maximum of 10 over the course of a 1.5 - 2 hr session (less if I am working on pushing put my personal best).

Depth alarms - realistically only one or two I imagine. Time alarms would probably be one or two as well.

---------- Post added June 14th, 2014 at 07:21 PM ----------

iPad - I would be unlikely to take an iPad free diving.

The smartphone cases - what depth will they be rated to?

although to be honest the beauty of free diving is the simplicity - so more gear / technology kind of runs against this.

.....The smartphone cases - what depth will they be rated to?.....
The 3 manufacturers we are working with have housings rated from 130ft to 190ft

OK. :) My target is to get to 50m (165ft) over the next year or so (currently hitting 40m when I get my mouth fill equalization right). One of the guys I train with can do over 60m and there are a few others floating round who go well over this.

What about mounting options? They would need to be attached to wrist or arm I guess (and stream lined)

Maybe one side of the app could be a training side. Something that could be set up like a workout that would help you train for free diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom