entry level scuba watch which wont freeze when freediving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ballastbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
i am not an athelete, and go only to 20m , so i wasnt looking for a dive computer targeted for competitive freediving.
but i was looking to buy a scuba dive computer wrist mount instead of console that i could take along when freediving as well to read the depth.

i heard about alarm features, but i was a bit puzzled as the watch is not monitoring effort expended underwater, if i am just lying relaxed on the seabed i might stay 3 min, but if i was following an interesting fish i might deplete my air in 90sec. do you find the alarms useful?

but i read some people complaining that their scuba dive computer would lock up or go bezerk during the descent/ascent patterns

i found some good offers on the Sub Gear XP10 , suunto zoop & oceanic veo 1.0 , anyone here used them freediving?
thx

For freediving you need a computer with gauge mode. Or just get a depth gauge.

For pure freediving the Aeris F10 seems to be the most popular. If you're going to use it for scuba as well, have a look at the Suunto D4i.

If you want something more basic, and cheaper, check out the Pyle Snorkeling Master. Should be only around 90$.

Most watches that have a both free dive and SCUBA modes will lock you out (for 24 hrs) if you free dive with it when it is in SCUBA mode so just remember to set it to free dive mode and off you go. I have an old Suunto Mosquito that does this and mates have the D4i which also does this.

The depth and time alarms are more of a guide / reminder than anything else. I personally hardly use them.

The most useful features I have found are:
* Depth (during and after a dive - for curiosities sake really.)
* dive time - to give me an idea of the surface interval I should use.
* surface interval - to give me a chance to relax more and recover.(As a rule I try to stay at the surface for at least twice the duration of the last dive - this can feel like quite a while at times)

By the way - a 3 minute free dive is quite an achievement. When spearfishing I am unlikely to go past 2 minutes. I think if you get a watch you will find your dives are shorter and shallower than you think :) (I know mine were).

Get a Puck Pro :)
But yes, after setting it in depth gauge mode, you won't be able to use it for scuba diving for 24h or something like that (unless you reset it).

My vote is with the D4i. It has 4 modes for diving that you may switch between - air, nitrox, free and off.

Geo 2.0 is what I use for SCUBA and Freediving. If you accidentally do a freedive in SCUBA mode, it just locks you out for 10 minutes, and then you can switch over to freedive mode. I got mine for around $250. IMHO, it's much better than the F10. The F10 is on the exact same hardware, just a dumbed down software with less functionality.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom