Where to go in South Pacific/Indian Ocean for Snorkeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kalare

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

My wife and I are looking for a nice place to do some snorkeling (and myself some UW photography). We've done multiple Hawaiian islands, the Keys, and Vanua Levu and Viti Levu in Fiji. My wife loved the shallow lagoons chest deep water and filled with coral in Fiji and were hoping to find something similar somewhere different. I realize we could try another Fijian island, however she would like a new stamp on her passport, and I know better than to argue with her!

At first I was thinking Cook Islands, but have heard that the snorkeling is not as great, and is mostly white sand lagoon, with little coral. Does anyone else have recommendations? I'm open to Maurtius, Maldives, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, etc. Maldives seems like it would be a great place, however the flight length (from CA, USA) and price may be prohibitive. I know also that Belize or other Atlantic/Gulf islands and locales can be cheaper, but I'm not as interested in the fish in those areas, I'm more interested in Pacific fish, and am hoping to capture a photo of an Emperor Angelfish!

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom