Does freediving have the same dangers as SCUBA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmer_spe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was thinking of whether flying after freediving would be an issue, then I see that someone posted about a deco stop.

Within the next year or so, I plan to dive the Jules Undersea hotel. I am seriously considering learning how to freedive while I am there too.

So, Now, I will ask: What dangers in SCUBA are also in Freediving?
How long after a free dive can you fly?

If you are staying in an underwater hotel I think you will be breathing compressed air. Same as scuba. In freediving lung expansion isn't an issue because you have only shore level air in your lungs - compresses as you descend, expands (but no more than you originally took in) as you ascend. As far as nitrogen accumulation - I don't think you are down long enough nor deep enough for nitrogen accumulation. Perhaps for the guys that go really, really deep. Not sure what you consider freediving. Could be snorkeling and dipping under to see something interesting to really serious - down a line with weights to get really deep. Your training should cover everything you need to know. An additional danger in freediving is passing out before you reach the surface.

The Jules Verne Undersea Hotel, if you mean the one in Key Largo, is in a small, somewhat murky lagoon. Not an interesting dive at all. A friend of mine DID see a naked guy through the window. There are critters on the mangroves. Dive shops used to use it when ocean conditions were too rough. I think you can pay a small fee and dive all day.

The Jules Verne Undersea Hotel, if you mean the one in Key Largo, is in a small, somewhat murky lagoon. Not an interesting dive at all. A friend of mine DID see a naked guy through the window. There are critters on the mangroves. Dive shops used to use it when ocean conditions were too rough. I think you can pay a small fee and dive all day.

I am doing it for the bragging rights.

I want to be able to say that I have stayed on an undersea habitat overnight.

If I am down in the Keys and get blown out I will go play in Jules sometimes. A coral reef it is not. But better than a quarry. Have seen a number of tropical fish including a sargassum frog fish. If you have a solo card they will accept it. Have peered into the habitat. There is still some training that goes on at Jules.

I read on "freediverbiz" that their rules are the same as scuba. So if you're diving and doing free diving between dives, I'd wait the 24 hrs. If you've off-gassed all night and do a little shallow free diving the day after, you should still be cautious. They say there are no hard fast rules, everyone is a different scenario. Here's a quote from a training site:
"The Nitrogen remaining in the tissues after Scuba Diving can lead to decompression sickness when micro-bubbles are recompressed and their consequent expansion upon the rapid ascent during an ensuing free dive. Those with PFO are in a much higher risk category. Wait at least 12 hours after a Scuba Dive before you do a Free Dive"

Along with the other suggesions here, I hope this helps =)

Back
Top Bottom