Soon to be first time snorkel'er *nervous* need some input

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobBass

Registered
Reaction score
Heading to the Galapagos in a few months...

background: I a fairly new swimmer learned 2 summers ago, I can float easily, freestyle (stamina sucks), backstroke and can sort of do the eggbeater kick for short bursts.

So on our cruise there will be tons of open (some deep) water snorkeling chances and I really want to do it. I have practiced and I am OK with breathing out of the snorkel, the one main thing that concerns me is when I want to take a break or maybe get water out of the snorkel or mask and I want to come upright/vertical for a few minutes, will the combination of a snorkel vest and wet suit (both supplied by cruise ship) be enough to keep me upright? Or will I need to tread water to stay upright and have my face out of the water?

Other than that concern, I think I am OK with it.

Anyhow feedback would be appreciated. But to be honest it does make me nervous in that scenario (feet not being able to touch ground).

:D Just relax. With the wetsuit, you will float.

But watch out those grey suit guys that like to swim underneath you. haha
I hope that won't scare you out of the water.

Never hurts to swim a few days a week in a local pool. Some pools do not allow glass masks though. Check out the local Jr. College. This will make you a more confident swimmer. The snorkel vest can be blown up for more flotation, so no worries there.

Yep you will float.

To get water out of the snorkel you can blow forcefully. You don't have to go vertical. I even bought a snorkel with a small float at the top that will seal up if the end goes underwater. It helps a lot to keep water out. Something like this: Oceanic Ultradry Snorkel

Of course you don't need this at all but it might make you feel better.

When you all say I will float, you mean vertically right, I am OK horizontally. Also, I have been practicing in a pool, but pools in FL are only 6 feet deep so I always have the safety blanket of knowing my feet can touch the bottom, will not have that in open water, that is why I am cautious/nervous about being able to float vertically when needed.

When you all say I will float, you mean vertically right, I am OK horizontally. Also, I have been practicing in a pool, but pools in FL are only 6 feet deep so I always have the safety blanket of knowing my feet can touch the bottom, will not have that in open water, that is why I am cautious/nervous about being able to float vertically when needed.

If you are wearing a wet suit and a snorkel vest, your problem will not be floating. It will be the frustration of not being able to take a deep breath and diving down below to see something cool up close. If you go upright you will probably kick your feet a little, but with the fins you will be wearing it won't take much effort at all.

As has been said, you don't need to raise your head to clear the snorkel. You will spend most of your time floating effortlessly and looking beneath you, occasionally making a few lazy kicks to get to a different location.

Do you have your own mask, fins, and snorkel?

The critical one is the mask. If they loan you some cheap POS that really doesn't fit, you will spend a lot of time getting the water out of it. If you get a really nice mask at a dive shop that a good clerk fits you with, life will be much, much nicer for you. Snorkels come in different kinds as well. When I have seen people with snorkels given out by groups like this, they are usually simple tubes. Again, snorkeling with a good one makes a difference--you will rarely get water in it.

Yes go to your local dive shop and get at least your own mask, if not mask, snorkel, and fins. Then you can practice in them and they will fit and not leak or cause blisters, etc. Once you get the whole breathe in and out of your mouth thing down, it will be cake! You will have such a great time, I am SO jealous!

I am kind of a wimp and was scared to try snorkeling and diving, but once you see what you can see you will be so engaged in that your fear will probably dissolve away, at least that is how it worked for me.

I bought a package from amazon to practice with, not sure if it is any good:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H4F9T3I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know from practicing in a pool, my throat gets dry or I simply want to come up vertically and take a break for a couple minutes but it sounds like the wet suit and or vest and minor kicking with the fins I should not have an issue when I want to take that break from being horizontal.

I know the first time I jump in open waters some panic will undoubtedly set in, but just gotta relax and breathe and also some anxiety will also be everpresent when I want to go vertical for the first time. But if I can get over those 2 things, all fear will go out the door.

I bought a package from amazon

Does the mask leak? If not, you're good, if so, then go to a dive shop. Nothing will ruin your snorkeling like a leaky mask. Don't let them tell you it doesn't matter for snorkeling. There is no water pressure to hold the mask onto your face like diving, a good fitting mask is critical for snorkeling.

Also, as others have said, a wetsuit and a puff of air into vest will turn you into a cork. You will not sink no matter what position you are in.

ps. check out the website my wife put together a couple of years ago, PegNDerek Snorkeling

What's your body type? If you are like most americans you will float just fine in salt water. You will float vertically as well. If you feel nervous just blow a little extra air in the snorkel vest.

Like the other poster said, once you start seeing stuff you will forget about your fears. Just note that no snorkel is perfect and inevitably you will get some water in it. Just be ready to clear it when it happens.
Once you get hooked on snorkelling try scuba, You can get closer to the stuff. Snorkeling is what hooked me in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom