world's top 10 best spots for snorkelling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I liked Dominica.

Poor Knights Islands, New Zealand.

(Heading there for a two day free-diving trip late in October)

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2014 at 10:23 PM ----------

Bay of Islands, Northland, New Zealand - probably not quite "top 10" but accessible in small boats and magic on a good day - see the video below from earlier this year (This is the wreck of the frigate Canterbury, Deep Water Cove, near Cape Brett in the Bay of Islands)
[video=youtube_share;2U9AUxT0hz0]http://youtu.be/2U9AUxT0hz0[/video]

Hawaii would have to make anyone's list. There's outstanding snorkeling off Maui, Molokini, Kauai and the Big Island. Dozens of Snorkel Bob's shops are there for a reason. Hundreds of people snorkel inside Molokini Crater daily yet it's still good. Kahuluu Beach park off Kona is the one where there's so many turtles you have to be careful not to step on them.

The BVI's also - Anegada and Jost Van Dyke are known for it. They do more snorkeling off Anegada than diving since it's so shallow. Virgin Gorda has the Baths and The Indians off one of the smaller islands to the south is known as about the best snorkeling in that area. At several Gorda resorts the coral starts just off the beach. Cross back over to the USVI's and you've got Buck Island National Marine Park and the snorkel trails/reserve off St.John.

I could make a case for the Bay Islands in Honduras also. The reefs off the south side of Roatan are really shallow and there's a lot of shallow coral formations. Some so shallow as to interfere with boat traffic. There's also Barbareta - an uninhabited cay nearby. Off Utila I often felt like the snorkeling on the south side was better than the diving. Brilliant colored coral reefs start so shallow that the beaches suck because of it. In spring you can snorkel with Whale Sharks.

No personal experience with these:
I've read Raja Ampat is excellent for snorkeling also. And Papua, New Guinea, certainly the Maldives. One that's recently of interest is Fernando de Noronha - a reserve off Brazil. IDK much about it.

Last edited:
Ningaloo reef Western Australia - snorkel with mantas and whale sharks.

The same places that are good for scuba.

My list.

I did not add places where I took a boattrip to a reef (meaning leaving out Sharm el Sheikh, great barrier reef and Bali (Menjagan island, Nusa lembogan) & Flores, Rincah & komodo).

So, here's my beach accesible snorkeling list:

Top:
Maldives Vilamendhoo
Australia: Coral bay & cape range NP
Philippines Moalboal, Oslob, Apo Island, Balicasag, Coco Grove Bohol
Egypt Marsa Alam: Coraya bay

Good:
Maldives Eriyadhu, Kuredu
Malaysia Tioman, Pulau Perhentian besar, Pulau Perhentian Kecil, Pulau Kapas
Thailand Koh Tao, Koh Kradan, Koh Hai,
Dominican Republic Sosua

Ok:
Costa Rica
Bali Ahmed, Permuteran
Thailand Koh Chang, Koh Phi phi, Koh Lanta
Philippines: Malapascua

So-so:
Croatia
Spain
France

Cheers

Jan

While I have not been there yet (9months and counting) Uepi in the Solomon's has a house reef to die for with many sharks +++

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back
Top Bottom