Mako Competition vs Cressi 2000s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ElectroPulse

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, all!

I'm looking to get a pair of actual freediving fins... I've only ever used my Aeris Mako short open-heeled scuba/snorkeling fins for freediving. Hoping to get some extra depth with some real freediving fins.

So, it appears to be between these two fins. As I've never actually used freediving fins, I can't really ask how they compare to others. The price of the Mako fins is definitely appealing, but am wondering which would be better for me.

Based on what I have read, the Makos are less stiff than the Cressi 2000, and am unsure whether that is a good or a bad thing. I'll likely be going freediving 2 or so times per month, so am not sure whether that is enough to build up to stiffer fins well. My Aeris Makos flex like crazy (and I have very little problem swimming with them for several hours), so I'm wondering if my kick has gotten strong enough at this point to be at least somewhat comfortable with stiffer fins. But again, I have never used real freediving fins, so I am not sure how they would compare. Btw, I'm 6'0, 170lbs.

One concern is getting them here. I am living in Palau for the next 1-2 years, so anything I purchase will need to be shipped in, unless I purchase locally. I've heard that the Cressi 2000 fins are popular here among spearfishermen (planning on getting into that in the near future... Just tried it recently, and loved it!), and that they are available here at LDSs. I'll be going around to some of the LDSs soon (hopefully tomorrow) to see if they have them, and for how much. I don't know about the Makos, though... Not thinking I'll find them here. The reason I am concerned about it, is I read about someone who both of their Mako fins cracked within a month of getting them (mind you, this was 3 years ago, so they may have changed them some since then). Mako replaced them free of charge (sounded like they sounded surprised to hear about them cracking), but the problem is shipping them back and forth. It would take several weeks to get a replacement, and the cost would be quite a bit. So, purchasing local would be preferable (if the cost isn't far higher).

TL;DR: Would the Mako Competition Fins or the Cressi 2000 fins be better for someone new to long fins, who has had a year to build up strength with short fins? And are the Mako Competition Fins up-to-part with the Cressi 2000 fins in terms of quality (I've heard the Cressi fins are built like tanks (but are also heavier), and have heard a story of the Mako fins cracking relatively easy (the 10% fiberglass, 90% Borealis blades)?

Thanks!
ElectroPulse

I haven't used the Cressi Gara 2000s myself but a very capable free-diver I know uses them for spearfishing and says they are good.

He is one of the best free-divers in the world. He has been to -125m (with a monofin) - the world record is -128m.

I have a pair of DiveRs (composite blades - made in Australia) and love them

I haven't used the Cressi Gara 2000s myself but a very capable free-diver I know uses them for spearfishing and says they are good.

He is one of the best free-divers in the world. He has been to -125m (with a monofin) - the world record is -128m.

I have a pair of DiveRs (composite blades - made in Australia) and love them

Thank you for the reply!

Hmm... Interesting. That definitely says something for those fins then. I figured pros would use carbon fins or something.

I looked up the fins you mentioned, and unfortunately they are just a little out of my price range (about twice my budget, actually :wink: ).

The most important aspect of "freedive" fins is the fit of the foot pocket. Mako fins are very comfortable (for most) if you have somewhat of a "normal" shaped foot. The bonus of Mako fins is you can change the blades to FG or CF. Cressi Garas (2000's are stiffer than the 3000's) are good fins as well, but you can't change the blades. Another brand to consider is Pathos... super comfy foot pockets. Beuchat is another brand that won't break the bank.

As Lemke says - foot pocket fit is important. IMO a good foot pocket will foot your particular foot well and also transfer the power of your kick to the blade (hence the logic behind having foot pockets separate to blades).

If I was buying blades right now (And bearing in mind I am in New Zealand) I would buy Ruku blades. They are a good composite blade available at a good price and with great after-sales service (here in NZ at least). I know one of the principals of the company that makes Rukus and have seen him honour the warrantee and then some! They are cheaper than DiveRs and just as good - if not better.

I have friends that have put them through a hell of a lot of punishment and they have held up well - and also provided good speed on the surface and power when coming up from a deep dive. Also - the top 3 place-getters at the swim fin race held at the 2014 NZ spearfishing champs were wearing Rukus (and 2 of those 3 are spearfishing buddies of mine).

Not sure if Rukus are available in the US but they are sold in NZ and Australia I think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom