Oceaner Wetsuits, are they worth $700 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

minno

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All :)

The only two piece 7 mil suit I can find locally is an oceaner for what seems a ludicrous price, is there something that makes Oceaner free diving suits worth more than twice as much as say, a Mako Spearguns suit?

I ended up ordering a suit from Mako Spearguns since the shop here doesn't actually stock these suits, I wouldn't be able to try before I buy anyway, but I can't help wondering if there isn't a good reason for the price of the Oceaner suit.

minno

For freediving my preference is to go with an open-cell freediving suit - i.e. no nylon lining just cut neoprene. The idea with these is:
* relatively soft neoprene for flexibility
* open cell innner means that you need to lubricate the suit to slide it on (soapy water or whatever)
* flexibiltiy and open cell inner means relatively little water enters the suit (I am usually a little soapy still after more than 3 hours in the water)
* two piece suit - usually longjohns and jacket with built in hood
* no zips at all therefore less water enters

With suits like these I have found a 5mm to be pretty much just as effective as a 7mm normal SCUBA suit but without the added buoyancy (therefore less lead to lug arround).

It is probably too far away to be practical from a shipping perspective for you but this is my current suit: Moray Revolution Camo 5mm - Moray - Brands - Ocean Hunter (they do 7mm as well)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom