Roatan East end Off Shore Snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi y'all,

My family and I will be staying at the Parrot Tree Plantation on the Eastern side of Roatan this November. We will probably do at least one guided snorkel, but we really want to be able to snorkel whenever we feel like it (keeping the wind in mind). Anyway, we don't want to make the trek out to the West Bay every day, especially when we hear that the east side is less spoiled with crowds. The Parrot Tree has built a man made Lagoon that basically blocks access to the ocean. We hear the current is stronger on the East side and that is why. Anyway, reception at the Parrot Tree says there are actually places to snorkel off-shore, but the walls were put up for safety. We live by the ocean, my husband is certified to dive but the rest of us aren't yet. However, my youngest 11yo knows how to surf and we know ocean safety regarding rip currents, etc.

Can anyone knowing about Roatan tell us where we can snorkel off shore on the East end? I saw an old post regarding off shore,but all the comments were regarding West Bay. We will be renting our snorkel gear for the whole week and we will have a rental car a few days, so if you know a most awesome place on the West Bay then please share that too. We're especially interested in the best places close to Parrot Tree, even if we have to pay a small fee to rent a chair on the beach. We just don't want to be limited to guided boat snorkels that cater to cruise ship patrons, nor to snorkeling in an empty lagoon. We're there for a week and don't want to feel rushed along with the people who do a short snorkel and then back to the boat :wink:.

Any other tips for East End Roatan would be great!!

Stick Right in front of infinity Bay at the end of West Bay around the big rock sticking up out of the water. Anything more south can sweep you out to open water towards mainland. We do drift dives there because of fast currents.

you can hitch a ride with Mayan Divers, they go to lots of great sites. We had some snorkelers this week on our dive trips.

For snorkling I think you will really like the West Bay beach location. Once you get to West Bay just ask anyone where the best area to snorkle is and they will point it out to you. It's at the end of the beach all the way out to Black Rock. You could also stop in at West End and snorkle in Half Moon Bay. The Roatan Marine Park office is directly in front of Half Moon Bay and they will be happy to give you more info. Besides it will be an opportunity for you to buy a Roatan Marine Park t-shirt and other items.

I'm sure you can snorkle on the east side too, but I don't think you will like it as much. The drive from Parrot Tree to West Bay is a beautiful drive. The best place to park is behind the Barefoot bar/restaurant, which is in front of West Bay Divers. If you want to do a snorkle trip by boat, just ask West Bay Divers if they will take you to the Blue Channel. You will absolutely love to snorkle at that dive site and West Bay Divers is one of the best dive operations at West Bay, (#1 on Trip Advisor).

Just got back yesterday.

You should really try one of the discover scuba classes while you are there too.

It is a blast.

We had a great time with ecodivers roatan.

I also snorkeled in west beach, and did a little free diving in west end

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom