Using swim goggles and nose clip to breath hold dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Squirttle37

Registered
Reaction score
I already got good swim goggles. Good nose clips are easily made at home or bought for $5. Now all I have to get is flippers. I am planning to use these to breath hold or skin dive but only down to 3 meters since I am a newbie to this type of stuff. I know the basics of equalization and purging underwater. Would swim goggles and nose clip be appropiate for the type of breath hold dives I want to do?

you don't need a nose clip to dive to 3 meters, you technically don't need them at all. Swim goggles are dangerous for diving because you can't equalize the pressure in the opening and your eyes can literally get sucked out of your head if you dive too deep with them. You can get away with a low volume scuba mask, Piranha Dive MFG has quite a few for around $25.

I already got good swim goggles. Good nose clips are easily made at home or bought for $5. Now all I have to get is flippers. I am planning to use these to breath hold or skin dive but only down to 3 meters since I am a newbie to this type of stuff. I know the basics of equalization and purging underwater. Would swim goggles and nose clip be appropiate for the type of breath hold dives I want to do?
Short answer--NO! Swim goggles will cause an eye squeeze, even at 10 feet. While these were used to great depths in the South Pacific years ago, that was with very little air space in the goggle, or a bladder was provided to put air into the goggle at depth as the pressure increased. You need a mask, preferably a low-displacement mask, to go to any depth. If you cannot afford one, go to Goodwill, as many times they have masks for just a few dollars--sometimes great masks for snorkeling. Try the mask on without the strap, and see whether you can inhale through your nose and hold it in place. If you can, it fits. If not, it doesn't fit and you should try another mask. You can see some of my mask collection below.

Best wishes for the New Year.

SeaRat

Attachments

• John's Mask, Snorkel & Helmet Collection.jpg
    John's Mask, Snorkel & Helmet Collection.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom