Which rubber weight belt is best/worst?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess one with quick release functionality (should be every one on the market) and a crotch strap would be the best since it would prevent the belt from riding up.
Stick with the name brand free diving ones if you want.
It's actually pretty hard to mess up a rubber weight belt.

I prefer the Marseille-style over the ones with a wire-style quick release because they are easier to adjust on the fly and I can get them much tighter. I use the Mako and Rob Allen belts, which I find comparable. A tear developed on an old Mako but they were great about replacing it with an improved version.

I read a bit about rubber belts a while back on Spearboard. One thing that was pointed out that if the belt is too "rubbery" then it will sag under weight. If it is too stiff then it won't grip properly. As you can imagine there were various opinions on which belt is best.

I have a lot of rubber weight belts. For myself, and for students.

My order of preference:
1.) Rob Allen.
2.) Beuchat
tied with
2.) Mares......Wider than the old style Mako. I prefer the wider one; it fits the slot in lead bricks perfectly.
3.) Mako (their old style)......it's very similar to the Mares and Beuchat, except the Mako belt was narrower. *

4.) IST. It looks similar to the Rob Allen, but doesn't stretch nearly as much. I don't like these that much. I wouldn't buy these again.

5.) Mako (their current style) I don't know WTF they were thinking......why copy the IST?? Not a good belt. (see no.#4) The Original Mako belt was awesome.

I have two Mako belts, and love them. I ordered another and it was the same belt as the IST ones I bought while on a trip. They should go back to their older style instead of going with the cheap ones they sell now.

*The original Mako is narrow. All other belts are the same width.

Mares and Beauchat are pretty much the same. Mares is easier to find.

I was going to order five more belts from Mako, but after receiving the current one.....I bought 5 Mares ones instead.

Hope that helps.

-Mitch

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom