Is freediving practice in pools at jeopardy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

njdiver1

Contributor
Reaction score
CDC: Underwater Breath-Holding Games Killing Swimmers « CBS Atlanta
(CDC: Underwater Breath-Holding Games Killing Swimmers « CBS Atlanta)

Man who died at Cranford pool was Aussie Navy diver, Gulf War vet
Man who died at Cranford pool was Aussie Navy diver, Gulf War vet | NJ.com

U.S. swimming pools ban long breath-holding after deaths
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/u-swimming-pools-ban-long-breath-holding-deaths-110629999.html

Swimming Pools Ban Extended Breath-Holding In Wake Of Deaths
(Swimming Pools Ban Extended Breath-Holding In Wake Of Deaths)

How about forming free diving clubs and having specific times to practice?
Or if alone, maybe they can accept those that can show some freediving certification / belonging to a club / having insurance...?

It looks like Freedive training is in jeopardy in some places!

Interestingly I have been taught a very different definition of Shallow Water Blackout that is related to the returning to the surface from depth and the ppO2 dropping below the level needed for you to remain conscious as your lungs return to there normal surface volume.

The articles are referring more to hyperventilation than SWB. Hyperventilation is BAD. Don't do it.

FYI, I belong to a Freediving club and we NEVER train alone - no matter what level of experience or certification an individual may have. (I am AIDA 4 star certified). We also don't let members participate in our training sessions unless they have been through our induction process and have demonstrated that they can be an "active safety" for other club members.

What you describe is technically referred to as 'ascent black out' and only one of several blackout scenarios.

Shallow Water Blackout is a more general definition to describe unconsciousness from insufficient oxygen to the brain, which may occur for the reasons you describe, as well as from prolonged breath hold in a pool (without the effects of partial pressure).

Ted's article is spot on. Informing the general public of SWB is good, but banning the practice would be detrimental for those of us who try to educate people how to practice the sport safely.

Interestingly I have been taught a very different definition of Shallow Water Blackout that is related to the returning to the surface from depth and the ppO2 dropping below the level needed for you to remain conscious as your lungs return to there normal surface volume.

Interestingly, I have never heard SWB referred to as Ascent Blackout - either during my first SCUBA course in the early '80s (it wasn't a PADI course - CMAS. The instructor referred to SWB as being related to drop in ppO2 specifically) and during recent AIDA freediving course I have completed. (up to AIDA 4 star). And yes, the education I have done has been through several blackout scenarios.

EDIT: I wonder if the difference in nomenclature is a USA vs. Europe difference???? (there are a few of those differences round).

Either way, education is key.

What you describe is technically referred to as 'ascent black out' and only one of several blackout scenarios.

Shallow Water Blackout is a more general definition to describe unconsciousness from insufficient oxygen to the brain, which may occur for the reasons you describe, as well as from prolonged breath hold in a pool (without the effects of partial pressure).

Ted's article is spot on. Informing the general public of SWB is good, but banning the practice would be detrimental for those of us who try to educate people how to practice the sport safely.

In the United States, SWB has become a catch it all phrase for all things bad that can happen in the water adopted by media and various advocacy groups. Given today's knowledge of freediving physiology and what causes blackouts, PFI does not use the term SWB in its teachings, but rather identifies and categorizes six types of blackouts (ascent blackout being one).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom