HMS Yukon Dive Report 08/07/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divinman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well the dive was long but the report will be slow as I still have to clean gear.

Date: 08/07/2005
Dive Location: San Diego/ HMS Yukon
Time: 08:23
Bottom Time: 1hr 46 minutes
Max Depth: 93ft
Avg Depth: 54ft
Vis: 5-25ft top the wreck was a milky soup, near the bottom was crystal clear.
Wave height: calm seas, maybe 1-2ft swells. No pukers
Temp at depth: 51F
Surface Temp: 71F
Images: http://gallery.scubapost.net/v/terry/album10/yukon080705/
Comments:

What to do if you have twin 98's cranked full of EANx 36??? Why the Yukon of course and so off we went. The local charter was scheduled for two tanks at the Yukon and after turning in our dive plan to the Captain and dive master we splashed into the milky soup that was the top 60ft of the water column. There were two classes on board and several other fun divers. They would do two dives while we did one long dive.

Visibility on top the wreck was a bit soupy. The school of rockfish is greatly diminished but still there and still amazing to see. Dropping over the side, er bottom, we found less surge and much better visibility. After a leisurely tour from stern to bow and back again, I took my time exploring the keel wall for small stuff and oh did I find it!! Of course there were the lovely metridiums and other anemones, but also nudribranchs (Agires, Polycera and Janolus), warty sea cucumbers from less than an inch to nearly a foot, tunicates and sponges and more and more.....

After about 70 minutes the cold on my no gloved hands and the call of nature brought me back to the up line and a series of stops and stops and stops. While at 30ft two black sea nettles drifted by. There was little to no current so hanging, arms and legs out like superman, we drifted the time away while the nitrogen leached out with each exhaled breath. Requirements met, we ascended to the boat for some soup and dive talk.

Great dive with good friends.

Terry S.

P1010044.jpg

P1010045.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010007.jpg

P1010022.jpg

P1010033.jpg

divinman:
Gas: 36% for the dive and then 100% for the deco above 20ft (THIS IS NOT A RECREATIONAL DIVE! DO NOT ATTEMPT WITHOUT TRAINING)

Terry, when did you take your Advanced Decompression class? Those are definitely words to live by. I'm glad your dive ended up ok!

[/QUOTE]

Divinman -- what am I missing? I don't really understand this dive plan. 70 m at 90' on EANx36 plus a 36m ascent w/ O2 at 20'.

What decompression algorithm are you using? What was your ending CNS?

Thanks, Jerry

jerryn:

Divinman -- what am I missing? I don't really understand this dive plan. 70 m at 90' on EANx36 plus a 36m ascent w/ O2 at 20'.

What decompression algorithm are you using? What was your ending CNS?

Thanks, Jerry

Terry sounds like you had a great dive, very nice pictures.

According to my AirZ nitrox, you can dive:
99min at 60ft (.95 ATA)
32min at 100ft (1.3 ATA)

without going into deco or oxygen poisoning(1.4+ ATA), granted if Terry's 1hr, 46min(106min) dive was only at less than 60ft....he would be not be past the no-deco limit when you subtract his safety stop(s).

If Terry exceeded the no-deco limit he would require at least a 8-15min safety stop at 15ft.

According to the EANx36 Rec-Dive Planner you can dive:
115min at 60ft (1.01 ATA)
35min at 100ft (1.45 ATA) not recommended

without going into deco.

Bottom line without looking at his dive profile we really cannot know any more info about Terry's dive. Other variables not here are the amount of EANx36 consumed. This was a technical dive that was planned and executed perfectly, and as Terry said.."(THIS IS NOT A RECREATIONAL DIVE! DO NOT ATTEMPT WITHOUT TRAINING)"

Terry, what was your ending Partial Pressure (ATA)?

**PLEASE correct me if my info is wrong.:)**

Anyone who has questions or concerns or curiousity about my dive please contact me via email or through PM so as not to clog the board with posts most people don't care to read.

Thanks

Terry

Since this is the dive REPORT page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone who has questions or concerns or curiousity about my dive please contact me via email or through PM so as not to clog the board with posts most people don't care to read.

Thanks

Terry

It is a report page and the dive plan is part of your report. I am curious as to how you came up with this dive plan and what parameters you were considering. If you do not choose to discuss it, that's your biz.

(BTW -- I strongly agree with your caveat about this not being a recreational dive and it should not be attempted by those without both the proper training and proper knowledge).

Jerry

Jerry, check out these 2 software packages:

http://www.hhssoftware.com/v-planner/

http://www.gue.com/decoplanner/

You can try out vplanner for free.... I put in some stats and got 11 mins of deco with 100% 02 and 20 with the 36 back gas... or 25 mins with regular air(21%) for deco (of course that's stupid but I wanted to show the differences)

Sean

You can try out vplanner for free.... I put in some stats and got 11 mins of deco with 100% 02 and 20 with the 36 back gas... or 25 mins with regular air(21%) for deco (of course that's stupid but I wanted to show the differences)

Sean

Sean, you missed my point. As you observe, 70 minutes of bottom time at 90' on 36% does not yield much deco time, but it does jack up the cns clock. In your example you are out of the water in 82 minutes, not 106 minutes. To then go and do another 24 minutes of deco with much of it on O2 leads me to ask the simple question -- why? and the correllary questions, what is the terminal CNS and remaining gas upon surfacing?

Decoplanner and VPM-B are based on very different algorithms, but neither yield this dive plan. Hence my question, what decompression theory is he using for this dive? He doesn't have to answer the question, but if he wants to post a technical dive on the dive reports, then I think it reasonable to ask about the plan. After all it seems that over 1/3 of the dive was spent on the anchor line.

Jerry

the original dive plan was for 90 minutes on the wreck terry aborted at 70 because he had to take a leak. i dont think 90 was enough next time were gonna do 120.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom