Diver Death in Catalina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubacalifornia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We were at Catalina in the wee hours of this morning for the opening of bug season and heard an emergency call on the marine radio of a diver near Arrow Point who came up not breathing. Baywatch and a Coast Guard helicopter were dispatched, but when we surfaced from our own dive, our captain said the diver was in full cardiac arrest and had passed away. Has anyone heard about this yet?
Kevin

No, I haven't heard anything about this. Was in the Scuba Luv shop this AM talking to Bob Kennedy and he didn't say anything. Neither did anyone at the dive park today. Of course if it were a private vessel or a mainland dive boat, we might not hear about it right away.

I heard this over the radio also but was hoping to hear good news.

The last I heard on the radio was they were doing cpr till baywatch arrived.

I heard it was a 45ft dive boat but no name was said over the radio.

On the opening night fatality mentioned in this thread, entanglement may come into play. The autopsy has not yet been done so no official cause of death has been determined. Diver was off a private boat diving near some charter vessels.

The second one was Saturday afternoon. This fatality happened on a charter boat between dives. It did not happen in the water. Heart attack is a possibility. Whether or not the dive played any role in this is, at this time, unclear. Again, autopsy has not been completed so cause of death is still not offically determined.

Thanks, Ken, for the information.

The one Diver A woman, C Brashers, was a very long time friend, She was diving with her husband doing a photo Class in preperation for a trip to fiji, She had Lost appr.150 lbs to become certified diver, she love diving after the dive she climbed aboard, the boat and typicly she only does the one dive, That morning after the dive she mentioned she didnt feel that well and would sit out the next dive. at that point she passed out, and never regained consiousness. Her husband, my best friend was devistated she is survied by her husband , daughter and a son, and the friends that loved her, Her friends all called her Billy, she will be missed, but never forgotten,
Good bye billy

ablake:
The one Diver A woman, C Brashers, was a very long time friend, She was diving with her husband doing a photo Class in preperation for a trip to fiji, She had Lost appr.150 lbs to become certified diver, she love diving after the dive she climbed aboard, the boat and typicly she only does the one dive, That morning after the dive she mentioned she didnt feel that well and would sit out the next dive. at that point she passed out, and never regained consiousness. Her husband, my best friend was devistated she is survied by her husband , daughter and a son, and the friends that loved her, Her friends all called her Billy, she will be missed, but never forgotten,
Good bye billy
It's tough to read, but I can't even imagine what you're going through - my condolences...

ablake:
Good bye billy

This is horrible - it sounds like she was at a great time in her life, with the weight loss, new hobby, and kids. I'm so sorry for her family; thist must be devastating for your friend. :(

Alot of people new billy, and her husband the were divers out of sports Challet in Rancho Cucamunga, if you knew her you had to like her,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom