FFM certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrbill4

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know a place here in the SoCal vicinty where I can go take a class on FFM? I am interesting in trying this out, but everything and everyone says you should be properly trained.... I would like to do that. Any ideas?

FFM= French Fry Making ??

or maybe

Free Falling off Mountains ??

Fire Fly Mating? How 'bout Full Frontal Modeling?

OK just googled it.

It's Full Face Mask!

OK, Sorry. maybe I should have been more specific. :) It is in fact Full Fask Mask, although some of the other acronyms you guys thought of made me laugh!

Sorry, no idea, but just curious why you want to do it? It adds a HUGE amount of risk and task loading that, unless there is a specific purpose (SAR), it's really not worth it, IMHO

Mr Bill,
I would suggest that you call the manufacturer of the mask you are interested in. Ask them for recommened instructor in your area. There are many different types of FFMs out there, with different pros and cons, so you'll want to first understand your needs.

ChrisM:
Sorry, no idea, but just curious why you want to do it? It adds a HUGE amount of risk and task loading that, unless there is a specific purpose (SAR), it's really not worth it, IMHO

Sorry, but the risk is no more than that with a standard mask. Task loading is nil, unless you have to ditch it, and then again, no more than what you would do with a normal mask to R&R it.

Call John Hott at Ocean Technology Systems.

Ocean Technology Systems, ditto.

The main purpose for FFM usage is for underwater radio communications.

All learned skills benefit...

BigJetDriver:
Sorry, but the risk is no more than that with a standard mask. Task loading is nil, unless you have to ditch it, and then again, no more than what you would do with a normal mask to R&R it.

Call John Hott at Ocean Technology Systems.

"Task loading is nil, unless you have to ditch it" Ummmmmm, yeah, that was my point.

And it is not like a simple mask R&R, unless you normally do it with no air supply. Something goes wrong with your air supply, you've potentially lost your mask. Something goes wrong with your mask, you've potentially lost your primary air supply. The complexity of the equipment should be no more than required for the complexity of the dive.

Having used both AGA and OTS masks, I disagree with your opinion.

But, to each his own.

Chris

It's always interesting to hear how dangerous full face masks are. Yes, they are advanced equipment that you have to learn to use. Complex? Not significantly. You do need to learn how to doff and donn as well as full bailout procedures. Cold water can be a special challenge with this. Air sharing? Had to do it once in 1979, never since, gas management, don't run out of air, but plan and train for it anyway. Dangerous? More divers have been saved by full face masks than have ever been harmed by them. Many more divers would be alive if full face masks were properly utilized, add comms and even more so. The act of breathing underwater is dangerous if you don't learn how to do it safely.

Back
Top Bottom