Diving advice, Palos Verdes / Redondo Beach area???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianV

Contributor
Reaction score
I was born and raised in the hollywood riviera. I now live in Texas (where I got certified and dive normally), and in spring/summer when I visit my family I want to get a dive in. I wouldn't mind doing Catalina, but that's an all day event. Is there anything near by that I can do in maybe a half day? Someone mentioned Malaga Cove once.

I have all my own gear but would need either a boat dive with tanks, or just a place to rent tanks. There's that Sea 2 Sea or Sea 'd Sea or whatever it is right there on Catalina in the village; are they cool? Is a 7/5 with 7mm skirted hood going to suffice for thermal protection? I can dive multiple dives @ 55F with 7mm gear without much trouble.

Thanks,
Brian

Most divers wear 6 or 7mm wetsuits or drysuits in SoCal. Ses 'd Sea rents tanks, as does Dive n Surf and Sport Chalet. There are dozens of great beach dive sites from Veteran's Park in Redondo Beach down to Torrance Beach, Malaga Cove, Haggerty's, Flat Rock, Christmas Tree Cove, Neptune Cove, Marineland, White Point and several spots in between. There are also a couple of dive boats out of King Harbor.

MaxBottomtime:
Most divers wear 6 or 7mm wetsuits or drysuits in SoCal. Ses 'd Sea rents tanks, as does Dive n Surf and Sport Chalet. There are dozens of great beach dive sites from Veteran's Park in Redondo Beach down to Torrance Beach, Malaga Cove, Haggerty's, Flat Rock, Christmas Tree Cove, Neptune Cove, Marineland, White Point and several spots in between. There are also a couple of dive boats out of King Harbor.

Which of those shore dives is best for visibility, marine/kelp life, and current (meaning not crazy rough current).

How is marine world (I assume that's the old shut down marine world over by portugese bend right?)?

What parts of Torrance beach (like ratt beach)?

What's malaga cove like? Sorry I've never talked to a South Bay diver before.

Thanks

I recommend malaga cove, marineland, or vets park. yes, they are cool at sea-d-sea. yes, your 7/5 will suffice.

imho,

malaga cove is the best site for kelp / fish. Lots of rocks, kelp, fish. Avoid when there is high surf.

Old Marineland (long point) is the best for visibility, nudibranchs, and octopus. A favorite for macro photographers.

Vets park in redondo beach is fabulous at night (fyi, its just sand), lots of eels, sharks, octos, rays are out. And it also has good vis.

I enjoy all 3 equally.

you don't have to worry about current at any of the sites.

I would not dive the other sites mentioned if I were you.

you should also post on www.divevets.com , they often dive at these sites and frequently have 2-tank local boat dives on the island diver out of redondo beach.

Scott

http://www.sandeaters.org and go to dive sites for descriptions of the sites and arieal photos too.

Malaga Cove, long walk down a steep trail Good diving .

Old Marineland - Best dive around, but I would not recommend it to you at this point until I know more about you. I note you have 15-50 dives logged. The Old Marineland site requires decent physical fitness level for the hike down, the currents and the hike back up (the hikes are about 2 city blocks, uphill, both ways). The site is rated Advance due to the hika and rock entry. Even the "pebble" beach can be somewhat interesting at times as one of the board members discovered and then sat out for several weeks recovering.

Site are like any ocean dive. Visibility is 30-50 feet, except for when it is 10-15 and that is when it is not 3-5 feet. So it just depends on the day and how the planets align.

There are plenty of easy dives in the Malibu area, just about 1 hour away. Redondo beach is easy, but is mostly a deep dive of 80-100+ feet and really is a better night dive than a day dive. Sand bottom and not much there in the day time unless you look real close at the sand.

Wow thanks guys. I've done heavy current diving in Hawaii so I think I'll try Marineland next time I visit.

Damn I'm kind of sad that I moved away now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom