The Pasley May 06 Dive Report Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riguerin

Blah Blah Blah
Reaction score
Date:
Dive Location:
Buddy(ies):
Time:
Bottom Time:
Max Depth:
Vis:
Wave height:
Temp at depth:
Surface Temp:
Tide information:
Gas mix:
Comments:

Date: 5/2/06
Dive Location: Shaw's Cove/ S. Crescent
Buddy(ies): glycerin
Time: 7:40 AM
Bottom Time: 63 Min
Max Depth: 44 FSW
Vis: 10-12 Ft
Wave height: 1-2 Ft
Temp at depth: 55 F
Surface Temp: NA
Tide information: Low
Gas mix: 21%

Comments: Hooked up with Josh for a dive before work this morning. We decided to try Shaw's for a change. Skies were overcast, tide was low, there was also some remnant SW swell energy from this past weekend. As we were checking out the conditions, we saw a pod of dolphin cruising just outside the reef. We suited up, finned out to drop area, and descended in approx 22 fsw. Upon reaching the bottom, we encountered marginal visibility, and some fair amount of surge action (2-3+ft). Due to the surge, we decided to head outside and use the larger pass in the reef, in lieu of the crevice. We spent most of the dive exploring the walls on the outer reef. There, we encountered lots of cool marine life. We saw several large sheep crab, including a couple that appeared to be having a stand off ...one other that was feasting on the remains of a garibaldi. We saw several bugs and octopi hidden in various holes and cracks in the reef. Also saw several garibaldi nests, various invertebrate egg sacks and ribbons. We returned to Shaw's through the same pass. We spent a few minutes riding the surge along the inside wall before breaking off into the sand. We spent the last part of the dive cruising over the sand where we encountered a few flatties of various sizes, including one decent sized halibut. Overall, it was another really fun dive.

IMG_0023a.JPG

IMG_0010a.JPG

IMG_0012a.JPG

IMG_0037a1.JPG

riguerin:
We saw several large sheep crab, including a couple that appeared to be having a stand off ...one other that was feasting on the remains of a garibaldi.

IMG_0023a.JPG
That is one very cool photo... in a gross sorta way!

We have all seen some very aggressive sheep crabs. I wonder if this one was able to grab the garibaldi or if it was already impaired and the sheep crab just finished the job.

Thanks for posting riguerin!

kelphelper:
That is one very cool photo... in a gross sorta way!

We have all seen some very aggressive sheep crabs. I wonder if this one was able to grab the garibaldi or if it was already impaired and the sheep crab just finished the job.

Thanks for posting riguerin!

Thanks, Deb. Josh and I were discussing this after the dive and wondering the very same thing. They're usually kind of slow, but who knows ... under the right set of circumstances perhaps one could get lucky and nab a normally quicker/more agile prey. There were also some starfish feeding on the on the garibaldi remains too, so I would guess that it had been dead for a few hours. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable (like Dr. Bill) could provide some insight.

Wow those are great pictures. If you don't mind my asking what camera do you use? settings? I only have a little coolpix 4300 and still haven't really learned to use my manual settings so my underwater pics usually suck.
s

sonyacol:
Wow those are great pictures. If you don't mind my asking what camera do you use? settings? I only have a little coolpix 4300 and still haven't really learned to use my manual settings so my underwater pics usually suck.
s
I learned a lot from this post;

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=81341

Date: Quatro de Mayo
Dive Location: Vets (of course...)
Buddy(ies): 'Dette & Josh (Jette & Dosh?)
Time: Around 8:35 PM
Bottom Time: 71 Minutes (the desert place was closed when we got out, dammit...)
Max Depth: 69 FSW (41 FSW Average)
Vis: SWEET! Much better than the soup last week. Maybe 20 below 40
Wave height: Ankle
Temp at depth: 55
Surface Temp: Whatever
Tide information: 6:18 High Tide. Slack thru dive
Gas mix: Air
Comments: NICE!

Another excellent dive. Josh joined my Thursday standing dive date with HBReefChic. She and I were on our 130's, drysuits and dry gloves, Josh was on her borrowed 100 (with a plump 3500+ DNS fill) and diving wet.

On my very short SC fill (3090) I knew we wouldn't get into the 80's, but I didn't think we'd get into the 70's as Josh would likely be an ice cube by then... either that or out of gas. So 71 minutes was a wonderful surprise. Josh was sippin’ his gas. His feet and hands were numb, but he was with us every step!

It was again a festival of Vets special variety Hermissenda ("Fakeyssenda"). There was some other moustache Nudi that HBScienceGoddess knows the name of. I have no idea as I haven't looked it up yet. You Vets vets will know it. We saw many of these out there, too.

I've been wanting to get a shot of this teeny-tiny grass monkey thingy. It sort of inches up the grass and kelp stalks like a dude climbing a coconut tree. They're so small (1/2" - 3/4") and so shy they're always on the OTHER side of the stalk when I go to shoot them. I got a shot off - its poor, but you should be able to see the thing. I'd love to know what this is. They are so funny to watch inch up and down the grass.

Lots of flatties, some octo, several pipefish (including one very pregnant one) the usual buffet of crabs and miles of Fakeyssenda Nudis. We got buzzed by a single Squid. That was pretty funny. He came right up to us, sort of got up in our grill, flashed then took off. I got a couple of quick pics of him.

I really liked this dive. So mellow. Not the soup we had last week. Much better viz.

However, the stupid fry were swarming like mosquitoes at a dusk party. They were thick, and they're in every pic. I had to sneak up on stuff in the dark to get a decent shot because the cloud just followed me everywhere. OY!

Thanks for joining us, Josh! Hope you enjoyed it and come back next Thursday, too.

---
Ken

Squiddy
59704916.SquidFace.jpg

Mini-Flatty in the Sand
59704367.FlattyInTheSand.jpg

Fakeyssenda On The Hoof
59705192.HermionSand.jpg

Mama To Be
59706400.FakeyMamatobe.jpg

New Mama
59703772.MamaSonFakey.jpg

Fakey on Kelp
59703838.HermionKelp.jpg

Crabby Munching
59705643.CrabbyFace.jpg

Moustache Nudi
59705622.NudiFace2.jpg

Moustache Nudi with Fry
59705354.NidiFace1.jpg

Wacky Climbing Thingy
59706193.KelpCrawlerThingy.jpg

Mo2vation:
Date: Quatro de Mayo
Dive Location: Vets (of course...)
Buddy(ies): 'Dette & Josh (Jette & Dosh?)
Time: Around 8:35 PM
Fabulous photos, Ken!! MegaPSI's of thanks!

Mr. Moustachio is a Triopha maculata, and your photos do him proud. What a beautiful animal. Great images, well done.

And the crazy little swaying thing on the kelp is a skeleton shrimp. Aren't they a Tim-Burton wackiness?? They come in red, orange, tan, and the ever-popular Clear... (it's the new black :) I've been hoping you would see one and photograph it.

Seeing your photos is re-living some of the best parts of the dive.
Marvellous squid grille!!!! Love it... absolutely LOVE it!

It was a wonderful hover through that lilliputian micro-environment. Thank you both for an excellent dive.

~~~~~~
Claudette

Date: May 6, 2006
Dive Location: Marineland
Buddy(ies): Solo
Time: 9:09
Bottom Time: 1:21
Max Depth: 47'
Vis: 5-8'
Wave height: 4'+
Temp at depth: 53F
Comments: Ken Not-so-Mo2vated-to-drag-an-expensive-camera-through-the-surf and HBNotDivingInThatMessGirl were geared up and ready to go until some little pounding surf scared them. I, being the fearless Max Bottomtime walked right in. I was worried about my exit the entire dive. :)
I kicked against a surface current until I decided to drop down on Rainbow Nudi Bank instead of making it all the way to the point. The vis was only five feet at best, with about eight feet further offshore. I took as many pictures as I could before heading back. Along the way I found a couple dozen Rainbow nudis including one still wearing its La Jolla colors. My camera batteries died just after I found a three foot Horn shark. I also noticed that I forgot to change the settings back after Chamber Evening, so most of the images from today were scrapped.
I decided to surface on the outer half of the cobble beach to time the surf. I was able to walk out gracefully and made it back to the parking lot with no bumps, bruises or anything requiring major surgery. I'm sure it will be great tomorrow.
SV500001.JPG

Lars wants to know where his buttons are.

SV5000153.JPG

Lunch break is over.

SV5000363.JPG

What's a Marineland dive without Hermissendas?

SV5000393.JPG

These Kellet's Whelk eggs taste like Chicklets

SV500050.JPG

Bad shot of a La Jolla Rainbow nudi

SV5000701.JPG

Puffball sponges

SV5000563.JPG

Anemone and Feather Duster worm

SV5000921.JPG

Horny fellow

R.I.P. Tim Miller
1959-5/6/2001

Mo2vation:
Thanks for joining us, Josh! Hope you enjoyed it and come back next Thursday, too.

---
Ken

Thanks Ken

I had a great dive, and will be doing my best to come back next Thursday as well :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom