The Great Escape

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbramley

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone recomend the Great Escape? I have family in long Beach and head out there frequently for Arizona. This would be a convient location for me. Are there any other boats in that area one might recomend over the Great Escape.

Thank you,

Dan

Welcome to the SoCal forum Dan; I too am from Arizona (Peoria) and make frequent trips and stay with family in OC. Don't have a recommendation for the Great Escape, never dove from her, but the Sundiver in LB is a good boat, I've enjoyed my 2 trips from her.

You can search dive boat trips here http://www.saintbrendan.com/database/search.htm.

Also check out the Socal motivation boat dives, good group and good buddies and we can plan way ahead for our trips. [I'll be on the July boat; Magician]
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=123220

If beach diving is something you'd like to do the wrinkles dives are good, see the Socal trips and marketplace forum; the next months dive is usually stickied at the top.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=231

If your looking for some local diving; the AZScuba group has a July 30th Lake Pleasant outing planned. http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=142153

Send me a PM, with gas prices maybe a carpool to SoCal is in order for some weekend this summer.

Happy diving,

Garrett

dbramley:
Can anyone recomend the Great Escape? I have family in long Beach and head out there frequently for Arizona. This would be a convient location for me. Are there any other boats in that area one might recomend over the Great Escape.

Thank you,

Dan
Absolutely YES, Dan. Captain Tim knows the local waters like few other dive boat captains I've met over the past 3 years. (I've dived from 10 different commercial boats in LA, LB, and Ventura)

The dive deck is spacious and well laid out.
Benches make for easy doning of tanks.
Crew is Awesome: FAST FAST tank fills with smiles, willing and cheerful hands at the swim step, wonderful food and snacks from the galley.
Plenty of inside galley space if the weather is cold.
Great sun deck up top if the sun is shining.
Heads (2) are clean and functional.
Hot showers (two outside, two inside (in the heads))
BIG boat, with well air-conditioned bunk room.
5 staterooms with privacy.
Easy self-serve soda unit.
Camera table with 6 outlets (bring your own power squid if you need lots of juice.)
Live game tanks.
Big camera rinse buckets.
Easy to use fillet board at the stern corner, room in the fridge for catch.

Did I mention the incredibly friendly crew???

I've had the pleasure of 3 live-aboard trips on the Great Escape, and several one-day trips to Catalina. Captain Tim puts you on the best sites possible, works hard to anchor the boat securely, and has an eidetic memory for undersea topography and structure at the sites.

Have a great time diving from this boat!

Claudette

P.S. I strongly second Garret's high opinion of the SunDiver and Captain Ray. Excellent captain and boat! Again, you will dive the best possible sites given the prevailing conditions, and the dive briefings are accurate and succinct.

I recommend Great Escape. If you sleep on board the night before you can grab a private stateroom.

Jim

Thanks so much, I have a feeling it will be a great trip. I remember when I was about 12 my aunt took us to catalina in a Cal 20. My brother and I swam all day!! Froze our **** off but very fond memories. I really appreciate the time everyone has spent to reply, there is nothing like first hand knowledge.

Thanks again,

Dan

dbramley:
Thanks so much, I have a feeling it will be a great trip. I remember when I was about 12 my aunt took us to catalina in a Cal 20. My brother and I swam all day!! Froze our **** off but very fond memories. I really appreciate the time everyone has spent to reply, there is nothing like first hand knowledge.

Thanks again,

Dan
Ask anytime, Dan! Most questions about SoCal diving will find some local forum member with direct experience who is willing to share his/her opinion. Happy diving!

Claudette

Back
Top Bottom