Sunday Morning in Laguna?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

THelsley

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Looks like another great weekend.

I've gotta get in the water! Anybody diving in Laguna Sunday morning whom I can join?

The Laguna beaches are currently closed due to high surf, so it doesn't look like quite so great a weekend in the local dive world. The weekend prediction doesn't look too encouraging either, at least according to the CDIP models. Be careful!
Kevin

Just checked conditions on http://www.lagunaseasports.com/conditions/conditions.asp, beachs are open and conditions look almost as amazing as last weekend. I live locally, but am on the tail end of a cold right now. I'd be interested in going, but there's obviously a chance I won't be able to equalize my ears in which case no dive. But you should deffinitly find someone to go with, it looks awesome.

Yeah, I'm not so sure I trust Laguna Sea Sports Info too much. Everytime I read thier info, it said it's good to dive, then I hear otherwise. I just read their info and it said beaches are closed.

I've been looking at the following site for some info. The site also has local models which are more detailed and probably more accurate.

http://cdip.ucsd.edu/?nav=recent&sub=nowcast&units=metric&tz=UTC&pub=public&map_stati=1&xitem=socal_now

Come to think of it, does anybody else have a site they recommend for conditions?

Cheers,

We're seeing a decent pulse of South ground swell energy today in So Cal. Laguna is exposed to South swell. Even if the beaches aren't closed, the dive conditions are probably pretty messy.

THelsley:
Yeah, I'm not so sure I trust Laguna Sea Sports Info too much. Everytime I read thier info, it said it's good to dive, then I hear otherwise. I just read their info and it said beaches are closed.

I've been looking at the following site for some info. The site also has local models which are more detailed and probably more accurate.

http://cdip.ucsd.edu/?nav=recent&sub=nowcast&units=metric&tz=UTC&pub=public&map_stati=1&xitem=socal_now

Come to think of it, does anybody else have a site they recommend for conditions?

Cheers,

if your looking for swell info www.wetsand.com is pretty good.

Kaamoss:
Just checked conditions on http://www.lagunaseasports.com/conditions/conditions.asp, beachs are open and conditions look almost as amazing as last weekend. I live locally, but am on the tail end of a cold right now. I'd be interested in going, but there's obviously a chance I won't be able to equalize my ears in which case no dive. But you should deffinitly find someone to go with, it looks awesome.

I'm looking at the page and it says "Time: 12:40 PM Beaches Closed".

I've got some SoCal newbies (actually Texas non-newbies who've just moved here) and was going to take them to Shaw's tomorrow. I may end up having to take them to Vet's Park instead. It looks like Catalina is shielding Vet's a bit.

While I like Vet's at night, I was hoping for a better daytime intro to SoCal. Alas.

Ray

THelsley:

Cheers,

I use a combination of sites. And still it's a tossup :D

Actually, I contend you can get a pretty good idea of present conditions and those in the next few days if you do some homework.

First, check www.wetsand.com to get a global perspective of what storms might be heading our way and might affect the west coast. Typically, you'll see storms coming from the northwest (usually in winter) or from somewhere down south (usually in summer). However, wetsand doesn't account for the local effects of shadowing by the Channel Islands, local shoreline effects, etc. It's just a general idea of what's coming. But it might give you an idea if, for example, you're better off with south-facing beaches during a NW swell.

You can also get a good idea from the weather reports if a storm is headed our way. Usually a wind/rain front will result in bigger surf. Of course, as you can see today, it can be gorgeous and still have some sizeable surf. According to wetsand, this present south swell is due to "...a system that broke free from the strong grip of the southern jet near Antarctica and drifted northward to throw some energy our way. This one peaked with 35-foot seas about 4700 nautical miles from our shores..."

Next, you can get a 3 day forecast of local surf from CDIP:

CDIP 3 Day Orange County Forecast

This forecast accounts for swell direction and local shoreline effects (bathymetry, refraction, etc.), and often is fairly accurate. For example, it's showing Laguna Beach at about 4ft surf for the next few days, and based on reports that the beach is closed today and Laguna Sea Sports says "3 to 5 ft, long lulls", that looks about right. You can also check the Laguna webcam. Unfortunately it looks like that webcam has been stuck on an old image for the last couple of days.

And finally, you can check realtime conditions by looking at various other webcams along the coast. For example, since this is a swell from 180 degrees (directly south), north facing beaches like Malaga should have the least swell, and CDIP agrees:

CDIP 3 Day LA County Forecast

Notice the notch in the plot just south of King Harbor. And you can check that in realtime at the Surfline webcam. Actually, from the webcam it looks like there's some decent surf refracting around PV Point and coming into Malaga, so like I say sometimes it's a tossup.

And of course, check the reports here. Looks like MaxBottomtime just reported 3-6+ ft. at Marineland, which is almost directly south facing. This is consistent with CDIP, and based on their predictions it will hang that way for the next couple of days at least. It'll be interesting to see if that holds.

By the way, I also like to use Google Earth on occasion to get an idea of what direction a beach is facing and how the shoreline is shaped. I just love that Google Earth, man...

Also there's www.watchthewater.org which has a bunch of LA County beach webcams from Nicholas Canyon down to the Redondo area. And there's the other www.surfline.com webcams, if you can stand all the ads...

By the way, it looks like the folks who ventured up to Gaviota this weekend might be blessed with some of the smallest surf around if CDIP is correct. I'm guessing the reason is the effect of the Channel Islands shadowing the coast up there from the South swell. Cool !!!

I was diving Laguna today at woods cove, just before the beaches were closed. The surf and surge was horrible. We were told that the surf would only be about 2-3 foot, but when we got there they were about 4-5 and when we were exiting the water they were about 5-6. I would go to redondo if I were you, im sure it will be alot easier of a dive.

Evil :bgmad:

Back
Top Bottom