We do not have to dive in polluted water!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
The Los Angeles Regional Water Quality Control Board (RWQCB) is conducting a hearing on July 13th to consider incorporating bacteria pollution limits (called a Total Maximum Daily Load, or TMDL) into the L.A. County Storm Water permit.

This is a tremendous opportunity for the So Cal dive community to express our support for clean water.

The hearing will take place on Thursday, July 13, 2006, at the City of Simi Valley Council Chambers, 2929 Tapo Canyon Road. The TMDL issue is scheduled on the hearing agenda for approximately 10:00am.

Please visit Heal the Bay's website for more details http://www.healthebay.org/actionalerts/2006_07_13_bacteriaTMDL/default.asp

While I applaud a number of the things Heal the Bay has done and would support this in general, I have also had reservations about certain things.

For example, the change in bacterial testing protocol to sample from knee deep water previously to ankle deep water now. I understand the rationale behind this is that young children usually play at the water line. However, often this is also the area of highest potential bacterial productivity.

The Regional Board Has Postponed the Bacteria Pollution Item Scheduled for the July 13th Hearing. Please Do Not Attend this Hearing.

I agree with Dr. Bill that there are a great deal of uncertainties when dealing with our ability to accurately detect bacterial water pollution...not the least of which is the lag time (up to 24 hrs) between sampling and results.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom