Good Beach Dive Sites for a Beginner in OC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cirwin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

My buddy and I are recently certified and have logged a dozen dives in Orange County, CA. The vast majority of these have been at Shaw's Cove in Laguna Beach, and we have done one five to the wreck of the Foss off of Cleo St. in Laguna Beach. Can any locals recommend a beginner-friendly beach dives in Orange County? My LDS recommended Wood's Cove and Moss Streeet in Laguna, but I checked these out today and the surf looked pretty formidable.

Thanks,

Chris

OK, now that we've got this post in the right place the SoCal people should be along to help :D
Ber :lilbunny:

Have you dove Deadman's off of N. Crescent [1 cove N of Shaw's]? Fairly easy dive, but a surface swim out, where you can get a little more depth [60'+]; recommend going with someone familiar if your comfortable/ready for the depth, I think it's marked by a buoy now. Also N. Crescent/Seal Rock is pretty easy too. I dove Wood's for the first time a couple weeks ago and it's a great site if the conditions are right. There are some white buoys marking reef off of Heisler that are easy to reach, but I haven't had much luck with viz at these spots. Divers cove is an easy/shallow dive. Good Luck

-Garrett

Wood's Cove is a good dive, as would be Treasure Island (Montage Resort - very south Laguna), or Diver's Cove (2 beaches south of Shaw's and home to a pretty consistent school of bat rays)

--Garrett - damn funny that Deadman's was the first thing you recommended (private joke)--

Deadman's is a good dive - and is probably the deepest you'll find in Laguna (avg 50-60 ft. deep, although you can get closer to 70 in places).

pcorliss:
--Garrett - damn funny that Deadman's was the first thing you recommended (private joke)--
It was the first thing that popped into my mind :D ; hey next time I'm out we'll have to go visit my old friend, I've had a nice break from it, since November :11: , I'd like to see the continued construction of Deadhenge too. Still waiting on the 120 to do the epic Deadman's dive :eyebrow:

Garrett

Conditions for a lot of SoCal beaches have been marginal for novice divers the last few weeks due to the SW swell from storms in the southern hemisphere. N. Crescent is a good site and you don't have to make the swim out to Deadmans to have a good dive in 30 FSW. Beach dives there get organized with some frequency on Scuba Board, and you can probably join in.

Jim

I would not reccomend Deadmans for novice divers unless you are diving with others who know the area well, due to the large amount of boat traffic in and around the outer reef. It makes it somewhat of an overhead dive as you need to get closer to shore before surfacing unless you are able to shoot a marker from depth.
The near shore reefs and pinnacles at Crescent are excellent dives for newer divers unfamiliar with the area.
As a good dive, I would suggest swimming out to the bouy marking Deadhenge, which is straight out from the wash rock and a little past even with Seal Rock, drop down on the bouy and explore Deadhenge to the East, turn around and explore it back to the Western part of the reef. Turn right (North) and follow the reef/sand interface towards Pinnacles. Remember to follow the reef/sand on your way back to shore or you will end up at the shollow reef betwwen Crescent and Seal Rock, which could be dangerous in moderate to high surf. Just keep reef to the left and sand to the right as you work your way back to shore.
I've done close to 100 dives at this location and I always see something new.
Good luck and enjoy!
Robb

There are many good beginner sites in Laguna. The sites from Picnic Beach to N.Crescent are all excellent ... somewhat protected, easy sandy entry, easy to navigate, fairly shallow, loads of cool stuff to see. The sites I like to do with my son (a recent JR OW diver) are Diver's Cove, Fisherman's Cove, and the shallow reef at N.Crescent.

Woods can be a little tricky entry. Due to the rocks, you'll want to dive it around higher tides. Also, most of the beaches south of Main Beach are more exposed to the seasonal south swell that we get during the summer months. Several of these spots (Rock Piles, Thalia, Brooks, Thousand Steps, etc.) can also be good surfing spots, when southern-hemi swells start to light up Laguna beaches.

I would be a little leary of an LDS that tells you Moss Point is a good beginner spot. It's actually considered a more advanced site due to rocks and a tricky surf zone. I believe at least a couple of divers have lost their lives at Moss. Woods on a good day with calm surf and high tide is a relatively easy entry. It's not a deep dive, but the reef on the right side of the beach comes all the way to the shore and has plenty of interesting places to explore. Have fun.

Kevin

With regards to Shaw's, have you been on the reefs to the east side of the cove? I think it might be Fisherman's cove perhaps. In my opinion, it is a much better dive than the main, west reef (D, in the image below). It's also pretty shallow, which might be a good thing for a new diver. One note, however: navigation might be a little tricky for someone unfamiliar with compass nav (though not really if you've got a good head on your shoulders).

In the photo, enter at A, swim out to the edge of the reef (B), and head east to C. Typically, you can see the top of the reef at C sticking up out of the water (note the visible exposed portion in the photo). Just take a compass heading to the exposed portion and head over.

Tons of stuff to see, the shallowness helps keep your breathing in check for a longer dive, and usually tons of life out. Look for bat rays and sheep crab in the sand on your way over.

shaws.jpg

PM me if you want more info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom