Video from the Eureka and Elly oil rigs from this past Sunday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miket

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I shot some cool video this last weekend at the Huntington Beach Oil Rigs . First dive was at Oil Rig Eureka, this dive was my deepest yet (127 feet), the rig structure was very dramatic. It's amazing that every square inch of space is covered with layers and layers of ocean life. There were lots of interesting macro subjects, giant schools of anchovies, big Sheepshead fish, and lots of different rock fish species. My buddies and I got buzzed by some Sea Lions, and while at the surface got to see a pair of Finback whales and a feeding pod of Dolphings (feeding on the schools of Anchovies).

Second dive was at Oil platform Elly, the vis was a bit lower at this rig, but there so much macro life to shoot the lower vis wasn't an issue. There seems to be an invasion of brittle stars at the Elly platform. There were some really cool looking anemones all over the rigs. There were also a surprising number of nesting male Garibaldi fish, rare for so far away from any kind of nearshore reef.

As always, Reefseekers presented a great dive trip that felt safe. The Magician dive boat's crew was great and food was awesome as always.

I made a higher resolution video this time around due to the ammount of detail I was able to capture on the rigs. It may take a while to download. I added a lower resolution one if bigger one wont play.

Southern California Oil Rig video - WMV Windows Media 50mb

Here is a smaller 30mb version...

Let me know what you think...

- Cheers,
MikeT

Hi Mike,
My dive buddy & I saw a critter just like the one at the end of your video at Deer Creek Sat. Do you happen to know what it is ? We think it's some kind of Jelly Fish.

Happy Diving
John

Great Video... I like the edit and the music also

J

Very nice video, thanks for sharing! :)

Outstanding video Michael!!! Was mezmerized by the bait-fish schools and enjoyed the shots of the Garibaldi's cleaning house! I'm jmdiver's buddy and the final image in your video is indeed what we saw at Deer Creek last weekend. We would appreciate it if anyone could help identify this interestingly weird creature.

Thaks again for posting your work Michael!

Cheers!

JonasDolkart:
Great Video... I like the edit and the music also

J

ScubaJW:
Very nice video, thanks for sharing! :)

orangelion03:
Outstanding video Michael!!! Was mezmerized by the bait-fish schools and enjoyed the shots of the Garibaldi's cleaning house! I'm jmdiver's buddy and the final image in your video is indeed what we saw at Deer Creek last weekend. We would appreciate it if anyone could help identify this interestingly weird creature.

Thaks again for posting your work Michael!

Cheers!

Thanks for the comments everyone...

Not sure what kind of jellyfish these are, when filming I noticed that the dark globs at the bottome of each are actually small sardines that appear to have been eaten. I have seen this type before on a shore dive in Malibu, we usually call them "Hot Pocket" Jellyfish, but I have no idea what the real name is.

Cheers,
MikeT

I agree that was a great video. It would be good to show prospective divers as well as very appreciated by certified divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom