Shore Diving Sites and Dogs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

booth22

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Sort of an unusual questions, but we'll be in LaJolla and the Laguna Beach area in a few weeks with some non-diving friends and our dogs. While we shore dive, our friends were hoping to relax on the beach with the dogs- unfortunately LaJolla shores only allows dogs after 6 pm, and Cardiff and Crytal Cove Beaches don't allow dogs on the beach at all. Anyone have any suggestions or know beaches where dogs are allowed? Thanks- booth

ugh...when I lived there Cardiff was the dog run reach. Monarch bay beach club..same, leash after 6 pm. You may be out of luck. What about Black's beach in La Jolla? they used to allow nudists...

Further south, there is "Dog Beach" but no diving.

catherine96821:
You may be out of luck.

That's what it seems like. Are there walking trails at Cardiff or Crystal Cove? It mentioned dogs aren't allowed on the beach or the back county, but if theres a walking trail or something along those lines, that would work. We'll probably take the hounds to Dog Beach despite the lack of diving there, we were hoping to do both though.

I've seen dogs on the beach in some parts of Laguna. I don't know the laws, but here's an excerpt from the Laguna Beach Municipal Code:

6.16.020 Dogs on beaches, in parks and school grounds--When and where prohibited.

(a) In addition to the restrictions provided in Section 6.16.120, and except as provided to the contrary in this section, it is unlawful for any dog to be within the following designated beach and park areas within the city, and it is unlawful for any person, firm or corporation owning or having charge of any dog to permit or allow such dog to be within the following beach and park areas, whether or not confined by leash, at the following times:

(1) At any and all times within Bluebird Park, and within Boat Canyon Park between June 15th and September 15th of each calendar year;

(2) At such times and within those areas of Heisler Park as the city council may from time to time fix and designate by resolution;

(3) Notwithstanding any other provisions of this code, no person shall take any dog, whether leashed or unleashed, upon any public beach in the city between the hours of eight a.m. and six p.m. from June 1st to September 16th, nor shall any person owning or having charge, care, custody or control of any dog cause, permit or allow such dog to be upon any such beach at any time during the above-specified hours;

(4) At any and all times upon any public school grounds, dogs are prohibited, whether or not confined by leash, unless prior written authorization by school district is obtained;

(5) At any and all times in tot lots or play equipment areas of any city park or beach.

(b) The restrictions and prohibitions of this section, and of Section 6.16.120, shall not be applicable to dogs while they are enrolled and participating in obedience classes sponsored by the recreation department of the city, or to guide dogs for blind persons. (Ord. 1318 § 1, 1996: Ord. 1031 § 1, 1982: Ord. 943 § 1, 1978: Ord. 918 § 1 (part), 1978)."

Looks like they're not allowed on the beach during the peak summer month hours ... you might be able to do it before 8am or after 6pm. You can find the Municipal Code in it's entirety here. Title 6 deals with Animals. Good luck !

Not in Laguna between 8-6 during summer months http://www.lblg.org/rule/pets.htm
I don't know of any during the summer. Is there a reason your bringing them? FWIW if I can't take my dog, I kennel her here: Canine Country Club - 602-244-8171, their website is down somebody snagged their domain name [I just called]. They're located close to Sky Harbor and you can tour the facility anytime. My black lab doesn't seem to mind it; she's stayed there several times.

Garrett

shark.byte.usa:
Is there a reason your bringing them?

Well, it was to let them run on the beach :D

We'll probably take the hounds to Dog Beach despite the lack of diving there, we were hoping to do both though.

be prepared for more dog piles than you have ever seen in your entire life. It kinda sucks down there, I thought. (hot, flies, dog piles, rough people)

I know there are some hikes but cannot think...You are on the right path with that...they could walk around Laguna Beach or check for a dog park. I bet Laguna has a dog park.

I would say the headlands area (hike) in Dana Point but I noticed that is all built up now.
maybe you could pick your dive spot and they could head inland a bit to say, Rancho Sante Fe. (very fun little town to walk, have lunch outside, etc...I used to take my dog to Kirby's and sit outside)
Oceanside might get more laid back...

There is a dog park in Laguna but not close to the beach it's more in the canyon off the 133 before you hit the heart of Laguna; I'm sure there are hiking trails there too, never been though. Best bet is some early morning shore dives, cooler, no crowds, parking available, dogs can be on the beach [technically with a leash :wink:], plenty of divers more than likely too. I bring my dog most every trip but don't bring her to the beach unless it's winter; she stays at her grandma's in Anaheim Hills :D

Garrett

shark.byte.usa:
Not in Laguna between 8-6 during summer months http://www.lblg.org/rule/pets.htm

Which might explain why I see so many people with dogs on the beach ... I try to avoid diving those times like the plague :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom