boat cancellation due to medical reason

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark.byte.usa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK I prepaid for a day boat to Catalina through a dive shop about a month ago, not mine or one I've ever been to, just a shop who had the boat booked that day. Tuesday night, I began to have some discomfort in one of my ears, I've self diagnosed this as Swimmer's Ear, but go to the Doc tomorrow to find out for sure.

I waited a day to see how it felt, I've never in my life had an ear problem of any sort, so this all new to me. This morning is was apparent it wasn't getting better and I should see a Doc to get some meds, etc and I shouldn't dive.

I called the Dive shop first thing this morning, when they opened, and informed them that due to medical reasons with my ear, I had to cancel [48 hours notice]. At first they said they had alot of cancellations and had already paid for the boat so I wasn't entitled to a refund, after I voiced my displeasure about it, they refunded me 50%.

When I called and booked the spots, I did ask about the cancellation policy and he said they'd LIKE a week so they could fill the spots.

I understand they paid for the boat, but this is a medical reason, and not like I got a better offer or something, I have no choice, unless I want to be in pain, unsafe and have a miserable time, believe me if I could dive, I'd do it, I still have to make the 12 hour round-trip drive regardless to pick up my kids at their grandparents. I gave the shop as much notice as I could.

So what is your experience with these types of situations? This was my first time booking through a shop, I know open boats which I usually go on are pretty flexible when it comes to cancellations as long as your not a NO SHOW. I'm obviously feeling a little bit screwed over the loss.

Garrett

Garret, 48 hours is not much notice. If it was me, I would have been posting trying to fill the spot, offering the ticket at a discount (say 25% off).

Personally, I think the shop was pretty nice to refund you 50%, they certainly didn't have to. (Which shop was it? no need to be shy here!)

It doesn't matter the reason, a cancellation is a cancellation. It was not an open boat, it was a boat chartered by a dive shop, and they paid good money to charter the boat.

It sounds like they were clear on the cancellation policy also, when you booked the spot.

Sorry to hear about your ear! I hope it gets better

Scott

Shops I have dealt with have always had a clear policy. Cancel too late and you lose part or all of your money unless they are able to refill your slot.

If that's how things are done, I've got no problem with that, just making sure. Expensive lesson learned and I'll consider myself lucky to get half back. Like I said new territory all around for me and if I have the displeasure of finding myself in a similiar situation in the future I most certainly will offer the tixs here at a reduced price. I'm more bummed that I can't dive, I look forward to my Socal dive trips and start planning the next as soon as I get home...hmmm August Wrinkles dive is looking good. :wink:

Garrett

Hope that ear gets better soon. Stuff like this seems to happen sometimes.

If you go to the doc, he may be able to give you the go ahead with the dive if it's not real bad.

JDog:
If you go to the doc, he may be able to give you the go ahead with the dive if it's not real bad.
Doubtful, Docs usually error on the side of caution and it's been getting a little worse, Tuesday night thru Wednesday I could clear without any discomfort, now not so much. I'll be cautious as well and now know I need to do some preventative measures after diving to avoid future infections. It just suxs it happened right before a trip I HAVE to take rather than one I could put off for a week or two. Oh well, that's life.

Garrett

Garrett, I'm not sure about SoCal boats, but I've booked on boats with a 30 day cancellation policy and I've booked on boats with a 24 hour cancellation policy. I haven't had your particular issue before, but I have learned to ask the cancellation policy when I book, just in case. If they don't have a clear cancellation policy, you could always dispute the rest of the charge with the credit card company and get the rest of your money back.

shark.byte.usa:
You know I'm just writing it off to lessons learned, experienced gained and a really bad day I'd just as soon forget. I get to see my kids after they had fun with the grandparents for 3 weeks and not going to let any of it ruin my weekend, diving or not.

Garrett

Good attitude!

Hi Garrett,

I hope your ear troubles clear up so that you can get back to diving ASAP!

Re Dive Shop charters, if the boat has a waiting list, then most likely you would have gotten your money back. Some shops allow you a 'credit' if you cancel a week ahead, anything less than that...it goes towards gas money for the boat(most likely)!

Take care

Back
Top Bottom