Catalina wild fire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

horsemen

Contributor
Reaction score
i heard on the new that their is a big wild fire on the island i was wondering if anyone knew what side and how bad it is they said you can see the glow from the main land

on news sat night july 22 2006

Was there all day yesterday, didn't see any fire or smoke anywhere.

I heard around town that there were a few fires started by lightning. we had a wicked thunderstorm Saturday evening. I heard that the biggest fire was above Empire landing and they had to evacuate but everyone is ok as far as I know and the fires are out.

70-80 acres were burned and some structures threatened, according to NBC news last night.

Dr. Bill ---------need status report.

JDog:
Dr. Bill ---------need status report.

Well, I'm not drbill (Whew! Sigh of relief! :D) but I did receive an email or two from him today which included info on the fires.

Apparently, there were three big fires that started last night due to a lightning storm. It's estimated that 1200 to 1400 acres burned.

I'm sure Bill will be by with more details soon.

I heard 1400 acres as of this morning. I was on a boat in Avalon harbor for the storm and squal. Wow! In 40 years of sailing these waters I've never seen anything quite like it. There were lots of distress calls on the radio. Too many boaters don't have adequate training or experience.

Oops, my earlier report was based on faulty information. the talk around town is all I have to go on. I talked to some harbor patrol officers and Baywatch and, I have heard that the Empire fire is still burning and only 30 percent contained. about 1400 acres burned so far, no structures, just brush. It is far from Avalon, and they just recently re-graded the fire breaks around town, there is little or no worries about the fire reaching here.

Back
Top Bottom