Has anyone ever missed a boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Empty V

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Well I never thought that it would happen to me, but it did. I thought I could do the impossible. After a long night of concertgoing, I was left with the opportunity to get 1 hour of sleep before my drive to the Magician. With lack of sleep comes lack of judgment. I convinced myself that I could wake up in an hour to leave for the boat, an hour long drive, that obviously wasn't the case. Who else has done this and how did you deal with the boat? I'm figuring that my money is gone to support the Captain and Crew, is this always the case? Realistically, I probably shouldn't have driven on one hour of sleep(that's me attempting to justifying my poor decision).

The well rested,
Billy

I have missed the boat before. I have discovered with diving. Wether or not you get on the boat, and if you do and don't do the dive, you still pay. Diving is a sport that I put money into wether or not I dive.

In time you will look back and laugh about missing the boat, I am sure everyone missed a boat or two now and then.

I forgot to mention that I woke early to dive Saturday, the day before the boat trip which was gong to be my first time diving Catalina, to try out some demo gear before I got on the boat. Plus, I was really excited to dive with 2 new buddies. Such a bummer!!!

The even more depressed now,
Billy

Empty V:
Well I never thought that it would happen to me, but it did. I thought I could do the impossible. After a long night of concertgoing, I was left with the opportunity to get 1 hour of sleep before my drive to the Magician. With lack of sleep comes lack of judgment. I convinced myself that I could wake up in an hour to leave for the boat, an hour long drive, that obviously wasn't the case. Who else has done this and how did you deal with the boat? I'm figuring that my money is gone to support the Captain and Crew, is this always the case? Realistically, I probably shouldn't have driven on one hour of sleep(that's me attempting to justifying my poor decision).

The well rested,
Billy

I don't want to sound like a pain in the rear end, but I'd humbly suggest that the lack of judgement came *before* deciding 1 hour was good enough of sleep.

Perhaps a "long night of" concert going is not the best pre-dive day behavior?

How are the ears doing?

limeyx:
I don't want to sound like a pain in the rear end, but I'd humbly suggest that the lack of judgement came *before* deciding 1 hour was good enough of sleep.

Perhaps a "long night of" concert going is not the best pre-dive day behavior?

When I was "19 and bullet-proof", I could stay up for days doing just about anything with only an hours sleep and never miss a beat.

Now days, I need my sleep.

To answer the original question about what happens to your money, most boats have you pay at the time you reserve and have a set cancellation policy. No show's or late cancelations are typically not given refunds unless they can fill your spot with another paying diver. Of course every boat is different. I'm sure if you're a regular customer that they might be willing to work with you.

Billy...we missed you today!!! It was great diving and great weather!!! Oh well, there's always another day for diving....

mike_s:
When I was "19 and bullet-proof", I could stay up for days doing just about anything with only an hours sleep and never miss a beat.

Now days, I need my sleep.

To answer the original question about what happens to your money, most boats have you pay at the time you reserve and have a set cancellation policy. No show's or late cancelations are typically not given refunds unless they can fill your spot with another paying diver. Of course every boat is different. I'm sure if you're a regular customer that they might be willing to work with you.
:lol: i remember them days, i still try it once in a while!! i said i try it , that dosent mean i succeed!!!! lol:shakehead

Hmmmm...I think your higher power was keeping an eye on you and 'made' you miss the boat for your own safety, and possibly the safety of your new buddies.

I was DM for a boat that was scheduled to leave at 7am, following Day Light Savings Time (meaning that we needed to set our clocks ahead an hour at Midnight). It was 7am and I was sent up to the parking lot to see if there were any stragglers. Sure enough, a gal pulls up in her SUV. I asked her what boat she was on? You guessed it, she thought it was 6am! The boat was nice enough to wait for her. However, she was a bit miffed that no one called her to remind her that it was Day Light Savings Time! At that point, I had to bite my toungue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom