Favorite So Cal Shore Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TerryTat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm Taking A Survey. I've Dove Crescent And Shaws Cove To The Point Of Being Burnt Out. We Find Ourselves Going Back There Anyway Because It's Familiar, And Can Be A Fun Dive. However I Know There Are Plenty Of Other Places To Shore Dive Around Here.
I'm Looking For Some Input On Where You Like To Go. That Will Take Some Of The Guesswork Out Of It For Me.
Also... How Do You Know If Conditions Are Good. Obviously Laguna Sea Sports Will Give A Dive Report, (although Not Always Too Accurate!) That Helps Me Decide If It's Worth Going. I Live In The Inland Empire And Hate Making A 2 And A Half Hour Round Trip Without Traffic Only To Find Conditions Are Bad.
Thanks In Advanc For All Of Your Input!!
T

I like Crystal Cove (when conditions are OK, watch out for the hidden rocks). Old Marineland has to be my favorite. I went there last year for the first time and we had 25'+ viz. The life is abundant there, it is just a great dive site. Although you have to watch the swell model and check dive reports on S'board and dive vets for current conditions. My regular dive buddies are like you in that it takes 1+ hours for each of us to get to the water. We try to get in at least 2 dives as long as we get 2-5' of viz.

Check this site out for more options:
http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_West/index.htm

Dive safe.

I'm a huge fan of Deer Creek (Rick's Reef) in Malibu. If the surf is big, it's most likely not worth going in, but most of us do it regardless just to get wet. About half the times I've gone we're great, 1 time was terrible and the rest were good. Rick's Reef is located just north of the LA/Ventura County line by about 3 miles.

BTW, Phil the avatar is awesome! Seriously funny part in that episode.

Billy

Any place North of Orange County.... :rolleyes:

Specifically Old Marineland. Best SoCal Shore dive, hands down.

---
Ken

you should buy "so-cal's best beach dives" by dale sheckler.

la jolla shores are great, esp. at night

malibu is good when the SW swell is low (call 310-457-9701), like today
redondo is good for a night dive almost all the time (except for big NW swells)
marineland is good almost all the time, except for large direct south swells

scott

My favorite Laguna dive is Wood's Cove. Shaw's has to be a lake for Woods to be good surf but it's great. Scott is right, buy the Beach Dive book.

My main source for conditions is dive reports from email groups like OCdiving.com and divebums.com.

My best shore dive ever was Corral beach, in Malibu. We had 50' viz, a couple of dolphins swam by, a sea lion came out to play...

...however...

...one of my worst beach dives ever was Corral beach. 6" of viz.

The moral? Find a site you like. Sheckler's book is a handy thing to have.

TerryTat:
I'm Taking A Survey.
T

The best site depends a lot on where you live. It's not a good site if it takes two hours to drive there. I live in Redondo Beach so my bias to for sites that are close to there.

Best daytime dive: "Old Marineland" (AKA Long Point) There are several rocky reefs there. Conditions can vary When the surf is up it is not a place for beginners because it is a rock beach. These is always a lot of life there. and the parking lot area is _huge_ We dive there with a big group every Sunday, tail gate party follows the dive(s)

Night dive: Redondo Beach Canyon at Veterans Park. In the day this is just a bar expancse of white sand and a good place for OW classes but at night all the critters come out. But you have to wait until after dark which right now is pretty late. We dive there on Weds. nights. Of course it helps that I live 10 minutes from this site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom