Any San Diego Divers out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubakevinp

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I are going to San Diego Sept. 22-28. We are planning to dive on Sat. and Sun. My wife and I have 150 logged dives. Most of the shops I have found on the web, it seems like you are on your own, but want to dive with a guide, because we are not familiar with the area. I spoke to the Dive Locker and they said they provided a guide.

If you only had 2 days to dive in the San Diego Area, where would you dive and why?

Any locals, familiar with the area, I would appreciate your suggestions.
Thanks,
Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I would probably hook up with one of the local dive operators. Both the Lois Ann and Dive Connections have DMs for hire. Both those links will provide information on local dive sites. While boat diving will give you the best dive conditions, another option might be to do a day of shore diving. OEX can provide a DM for you to do a guided shore dive or two at La Jolla Shores. Enjoy the dives!

John

scubakevinp:
My wife and I are going to San Diego Sept. 22-28. We are planning to dive on Sat. and Sun. My wife and I have 150 logged dives. Most of the shops I have found on the web, it seems like you are on your own, but want to dive with a guide, because we are not familiar with the area. I spoke to the Dive Locker and they said they provided a guide.

If you only had 2 days to dive in the San Diego Area, where would you dive and why?

Any locals, familiar with the area, I would appreciate your suggestions.
Thanks,
Kevin

I would do a boat dive out to wreck alley. For two tank charters the Yukon and the Ruby E would be the way to go. If you make it a three tank most charters will also go to the Point Loma Kelp Beds. Shore diving is a little more hit or miss. When the conditions are good dives at La Jolla Cove are nice, but when the surf is up and the vis is down the diving is not a bit tougher. If you can do a night dive the canyon off La Jolla Shores has some interesting life.

The boat operators I like to use are Dive Bliss and the Lois Ann.

From another tourist that visits San Diego and has a diver son there; we dive La Jolla (the underwater park) this time of year since vis is good. Also if you want to do a really nice trip take the 1/2 hour boat ride over to Catalina Island and dive from shore. Tanks and rental equipment are readily available on the island.

500 PSI:
From another tourist that visits San Diego and has a diver son there; we dive La Jolla (the underwater park) this time of year since vis is good. Also if you want to do a really nice trip take the 1/2 hour boat ride over to Catalina Island and dive from shore. Tanks and rental equipment are readily available on the island.

Not to nit pick but SD to Catalina is at the very least a 6 hour trip more like 8-10 depending on the boat~10kts/hr @ 90 or so miles. Try the local dive boats such as the Lois Ann or HydroDiver et al... good diving this time of year here on wreck alley and the artificial reefs. The Coronado Islands south in Mexican water are a great dive this time of year with lots of sea life~1.5 hr trip by boat.

La Jolla Shores/Cove /MarineRoom/ Scripps pier are all great shore dives with good parking and walking distance gas/air.

It has been a few years, so I may be out of date.

The best diving in San Diego is, in my opinion, a night dive on the canyon off Blacks Beach. I don't know if they are still doing it but the Sea Deucers Dive Club (UCSD) used to have wednesday night dives there...

Other great dives are Quast Rock, Bird Street, Point Loma Kelp Beds, Shore dives from the Marine Room Restaurant, and the old standby - La Jolla Shores - watch your parking the tickets are bad.

Good night diving from the Cove, but beware of surf, once I was out there and had a big swell come in, my depth gauge went from 15 feet to zero - I looked up into the mouth of a huge wave!

La Jolla Shores is an excellent beach dive. Laguna is good too. Catalina is 26mi. off of Long Beach, it is about 3hr. to the island. The marine life in Laguna is comparable to what you will find out at Catalina, however, the conditions over on the island tend to be better than here on the main land. I have gone diving w/Dive Connections and next week will dive w/Lois Ann for the 1st time. If you do dive here in So. Ca. be sure to check the conditions first:
La Jolla (619)221-8824 / Laguna (949)494-6573

Happy Diving,
H - the IslandCowgirl

IslandCowgirl:
I have gone diving w/Dive Connections and next week will dive w/Lois Ann for the 1st time.
Happy Diving,
H - the IslandCowgirl

The wife and I will be on board with LoisAnn on the 1st (Coronados), our 1st time out with them.

Jeff

Thanks to everyone for the info. We are just about to leave for the airport for our 1st liveaboard. We are going to the Bahamas for a week on the Aquacat. 5 dives a day, 5 1/2 days of diving, I think this is going to be great. When we get back I have to get the San Diego trip figured out, but sounds like the are some great dive locations.
Thanks,
Kevin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom