Has anyone been to Santa Rosa?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBAJENNIFER

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm taking a trip on the Spectre on the 10th of September, we were supposed to go to Anacapa, but the trip was changed to Santa Rosa instead. Has anyone been there? And if so, What did you think of it?

Thanks in advance! :D

I have dove Anacapa, Santa Cruz, and San Miguel, but never Santa Rosa for some odd reason. I would imagine it's pretty similar to the other three islands in the neighborhood: Spectacular. The outer islands are not visited as frequently as Anacapa is, so I'm guessing you'll have a nicer dive than a run of the mill Anacapa run. Have fun!

The Spectre is a very decent boat, although it can get a little crowded. I was on one of their Anacapa runs last Friday.

http://www.diveboat.com/map_of_great_escape_dive_destinations.shtml

We're also doing the Saturday trip to Anacapa on the 9th. So I should be able to compare and contrast after I'm done.
Was just hoping for a little advance knowledge on what to be on the look out for.

Have dived all four of the northern Channel Islands. Diving Santa Rosa is like saying I'm diving the mainland SoCal coast from Newport to Dana Point. There is a wide range in site conditions, biota, etc.

scvdiver:
wow, the spectre is making a run for Santa Rosa? is this a charter? do you know if there are any more spots available if it is?

Mark

It is a charter through Eco Dive...I spoke to someone named Ron last night, I think he said they had 23 people so far. Their number is 310-398-5759.

Boat leaves at 2:00 am Sunday Morning!

Santa Rosa can be ok, found some nice kelp beds there. Can't say I liked the Spectre very much, you'll tend to have pretty short, hurry up diving, IMHO.

The Peace does fairly regular stops there on the way back from Miguel on their Weds specials. Great boat.

Jack

I concur with Jack. The Spectre is a decent boat and I certainly don't hate it, but the Peace wins. Not as crowded. Membrane Nitrox plus fills that almost truly fill my HP tanks. Last week on the Spectre I ended up with some 2800psi fills. Ugh. Not that it mattered with a "recommended BT" of 40-45 minutes...

Both have pleasant, helpful crews, however, good kitchens (although I think with the Peace ALL food is included, not just lunch?), and they both get ya wet. :)

CompuDude:
I concur with Jack. The Spectre is a decent boat and I certainly don't hate it, but the Peace wins. Not as crowded. Membrane Nitrox plus fills that almost truly fill my HP tanks. Last week on the Spectre I ended up with some 2800psi fills. Ugh. Not that it mattered with a "recommended BT" of 40-45 minutes...

Both have pleasant, helpful crews, however, good kitchens (although I think with the Peace ALL food is included, not just lunch?), and they both get ya wet. :)

I would have preferred the Peace, but I don't think it worked with our schedule. I'm not really concerned though. As long as I'm diving!! :D When we get off on Sunday we're heading for the Lois Ann in San Diego for 2 days and then on to Catalina! It's going to be a great week in SoCal!

Back
Top Bottom