Finescale Triggerfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive California

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Dove African Cove (on frontside of Santa Catalina) yesterday (Aug. 26th) and saw a Finescale Triggerfish, about 1 1/2 foot, in the shallows, near reef. Knew nobody would believe this, found buddy and poited it out to him. When I got to the surface, I asked, what did you think that big fish was...he said: Wow that was a triggerfish.

Also saw at least four different large (150-250) schools of unidentifed tropical fish...look like yellowfin goatfish?

What is happening to Southern California...I like global warming...

Temp. was 73°-72° at African Cove.

Anybody else see any tropical fish?

I was on the Lois Ann at the Coronado Islands on teh 19th, and we saw some triggerfish also. The DM told us that they were brought there by El Nino. I'm not sure if that would be the same case with the fish you saw, but that's really cool.

-Francis

Hi Carlos. I've seen a Finescale Triggerfish at Marineland. Last week I saw a fish that resembles a yellowfin goatfish and found it to be an Ocean Whitefish.
http://www.mexfish.com/fish/ocwht/ocwht.htm

Finescale triggerfish have been in Lover's Cove (and a few other sites) on Catalina for decades. I haven't dived there in about two years, but they tend to be quite skittish in the Cove. Did see 7 in one trip on the semi-submersible boat. They are less skittish when I encounter them in the Sea of Cortez.

Must admit I've never seen goatfish in our waters (over 37 years and a number of El Ninos).

I'm not familiar with the dive site "African Cove." Must be one of those dive boat names. Just where is it located?

thanks for reporting your finds carlos.

Africa point is right in front of the eagle reef buoy. Africa cove is the cove on the west side of that point. its not a bad dive site, I dove there on sunday and hung out with a moray for a while.

finescale triggerfish have been sighted around LA and catalina many times before, but they are still quite rare.

mexican goatfish (Mulloidichthys dentatus) have been found as far north as Long Beach. I don't think Mulloidichthys vanicolensis have ever been seen in California, but maybe that's what they were, did anyone get a photo?

Jan, an interesting thing about the scythe butterflyfish is that although it is considered subtropical and tropical in distribution, it is not a "warm water wuss." In southern regions these fish live at 100-500 foot depths while here in SoCal they can tolerate the cooler near-surface waters in the 30-50 ft range.

Hmmm... African Cove or Africa Point? Who made up this name? I sure wish the various mainland dive boats would use the legitimate place names on Catalina so we actually know what specific site they are referring to. I've never heard of either and I dive Eagle Reef with some regularity.

Imagine fish observers who report (each from a different dive boat) that they saw goatfish at African Cove, Larry's Lagoon, Susie's Secret Spot and Penelope's Point... yet are all referring to the same location known on official island maps as the DOE Dump Site (maybe THAT's why they looked like goatfish... radioactive mutants!).

Wow, had no idea there have been so many sights of Triggers around SoCal.

Yeah, African Cove, is exactly where ScottFiji said...I've been on a couple of different boats that have called the dive site "African Cove." Looking back in my log book...it seems to always be the warmest spot on Catalina...

Jan...wow a butterfly fish...nice.

No, no photos on board...it was a boatfull of beginner divers...we had four OW classes on board.

Back
Top Bottom