Shore Diving this Friday near LAX ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PacketSniffer

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm coming to Los Angelos with the Zendiving group to dive the Northern Channel Islands. My flight gets in around 10:42am on Friday. I have several hours to kill before the rest of the gang gets to LAX. Does anyone want to do some shore diving in proximity to LAX? I don't know the diving routine at all in the area so it would be good to pick a convenient place with tank rental nearby unless you have tanks (prefer DIN) to loan me. :D

It would be great to do a group dive with a bunch of SB'ers from SoCal. Let's go diving!

Richard

Redondo beach Vetrans Park and Malibus Las Tunas are the closest. Redondo is very popular and has a place called Dive N Surf that can rent you a tank. Malibu divers (a little further away) can also hook you up with a tank close to the beach/dive spots. Time wise I reccomend Redondo if you want to not take forever. Its a smidge closer to the airport traffic wise and because its not shallow, dives tend to be shorter. Of course Redondo's Vetrans park is completely sand and sand dwellers. Redondo is a very easy dive (open water training occurs here) but can get very deep if your not careful. Malibu has reefs and tends to be prettier. Check the water reports.

Have any specific questions from there.. do ask! There is more to be said!

Oh, come on gang. Isn't this supposed to be like the shore diving capital of the world???? Surely somebody wants to dive tomorrow.

Or maybe it's my reputation. :shakehead I promise I won't sink any boats. I promise I won't pull any pranks. I promise I'll work hard and won't throw up on you.

What else can I offer? :(

Richard
Addiction: Diving

I totally would but I think I am getting sucked into a game of golf! Darn business golf.... Whats your time window? I get off work around 1pm.

TrojanCatMan:
Whats your time window? I get off work around 1pm.

The rest of the troops are getting in to LAX at 19:42. So I definitely have to be there to pick them up at that time. If sticking near LAX, I would think there could be a couple dives at least.

That timing might not be too bad if we can figure out where to dive ahead of time. As soon as I get my luggage, I can run to the dive shop and pick up tanks. Then, meet at the dive site.

Richard

Ken and I will bring steel tanks (DIN of course... I mean, it's real dive gear :eyebrow: ), so we've gotcha covered with fat-filled hp100 or hp130, your choice.

We'll pick an afternoon spot reasonably convenient to LAX, have you back on surface interval in time to meet your incoming buddies.... and have lots of fun!!!

Details in PM...

See you tomorrow :)

Claudette
PacketSniffer:
The rest of the troops are getting in to LAX at 19:42. So I definitely have to be there to pick them up at that time. If sticking near LAX, I would think there could be a couple dives at least.

That timing might not be too bad if we can figure out where to dive ahead of time. As soon as I get my luggage, I can run to the dive shop and pick up tanks. Then, meet at the dive site.

Richard

I live moments from LAX. We should plan to splash in the afternoon - like around 1:30 or 2:00. Vets, while not a great day dive, it is close, accessible, quick, and there is always something to see.

If only shoes, toys and trasheesh.

Sounds like you got a car? I have your number in PM - lets plan on meeting at Vets and dive there in the afternoon. Afterwards we can grub.

---
Ken

Wahoooo! Oh, I love you guys already! You came with a fix for an addict at his darkest hour. :D

As noted in the PM to Claudette, I'd love to try the PST 130. I've got its siblings (119s) and often wondered if I should have chose the big brothers. I'm curious about any trim changes. I can rent additional tanks to make up the difference for us if you think we'll need it.

I'll be renting a car from LAX.

So I'll plan to meet you both at Vets. I'll drive straight there from LAX.

We're goin' diving!

Richard

PacketSniffer:
Wahoooo! Oh, I love you guys already! You came with a fix for an addict at his darkest hour. :D

As noted in the PM to Claudette, I'd love to try the PST 130. I've got its siblings (119s) and often wondered if I should have chose the big brothers. I'm curious about any trim changes. I can rent additional tanks to make up the difference for us if you think we'll need it.

I'll be renting a car from LAX.

So I'll plan to meet you both at Vets. I'll drive straight there from LAX.

We're goin' diving!

Richard

Try it at vets. If you dig it, I'll bring one for the Sphincter for you. I'll be diving double 85's on Sat.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
Try it at vets. If you dig it, I'll bring one for the Sphincter for you. I'll be diving double 85's on Sat.

---
Ken

Sounds great.

I'm afraid to ask how the boat got coined that word. :lol:

Richard

Back
Top Bottom