alternates so cal shore dives this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iPaulo

New
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a new diver. I was planning to do the 3R's at White Point in San Pedro this weekend with another newbie buddy. (http://www.lascuba.com/3rs.html)

I haven't learned to read the surf reports and how to gauge conditions in advance. Will conditions be OK to dive White Point this weekend? If not, suggestions for a good alternate would be much appreciated. We'll both be renting most of our gear so a wash out would be a bummer.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the SoCal section of ScubaBoard! :happywave

I would imagine that your instructor for the Rocks, Rips and Reefs class would be the one to make a decision on acceptable alternate locations for your class.

That said, I would not be surprised if a location on the other side of the Palos Verdes Penninsula (closer to Redondo Beach) were considered if conditions where less than desirable at White Point.

I find it's better to look at actual conditions than to trust a surf report. If I were to trust those reports, I would miss out on a lot of great diving.

Have fun in class!

Christian

When I did the 3R's at Crystal Cove, the surf and riptides were raging. Nonetheless, it was a great experience and worth going to regardless of actual conditions. The instructors had us in the shallows practicing entries with our fins on, but we just didn't go in very far. Much of the class is done out of the water.

Have fun!
Kevin

the south swell will be picking up this weekend, but you should still be able to dive at White's point. Malaga cove is North facing and will be a better bet, especially at slack high-tide (11AM). And its not too far from White's point.

there is some more information on local beach diving conditions here, including how to check surf forecasts and check the tide tables.
http://www.ladiving.org/conditions.html

Hope this helps,
Scott

Wow, 3R's at White Point??? I'm suprised that they would pick this site. It's a rocky entry. I would not rec this site to a new diver, especially one that is honing in on beach diving skills.

Come down for the Wrinkles BBQ in La Jolla instead. Lots of fun and diving too!

OK - me so dum. What are "the 3 R's" ??

---
Ken

what are the 3 R's? well, I got this from the www.glacd.org website

Rocks, Rips & Reefs (3 R's)

- Half-day workshop to improve beach diving skills & familiarize divers with popular dive sites.

- SCUBA Instructors demonstrate & supervise proper surf entry & exit procedures, dive condition assessment techniques, and explain unique aspects of the dive site.

- Participants wear full wetsuit, mask, fins, snorkel and weightbelt with half of the normal weight used for diving. TANKS & REGULATORS ARE NOT ALLOWED.

$5 donation helps fund the program.

Organized by the L.A. County Underwater Instructors Association in cooperation with GLACD.

All sessions meet at 8 a.m.

They also have these at point dume.

Thanks everyone!

Jan, my open water course ended up being all pool and boat diving, so the educational aspect of 3R is too good to pass up. Rocks or not. But I'll take you up on the Wrinkles invite at some point. I figure dive sites with funny names must be good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom