(SoCal) Zuma-riffic???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

art.chick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK, call me crazy, but today's dive at Zuma's Westward Beach was dynamite! I saw the hugest halibut of my life (almost as big as me, and I'm probably the biggest human he's seen!) Out around the pinnacles, there was a marine wonderland hovering over a giant muscle graveyard. A variety of cute crabs hid among the vast sand-dollar beds (still holding their value as land-based American currencies slide on the world market).

This is the first time I have seen this beach NOT smacked by largish waves. There was surge near the surface of course, but the water was a balmy 63F with 25'viz. The pinnacles were a looong kick against the longshore current, but it was worth the cramps. If you see good conditions predicted for this site again, GO!

Every time I drive all the way up there, the surf picks up, regardless of what the wave models indicate. A better indicator: check first to see if the CHP has seen my car on PCH. If it is headed north towards Malibu, wave height is on the increase.
Which direction does Zuma face, Art.chick? I always thought of it in terms of surfing, not diving.

Methinks that one actually faces South (but I hafta check the Sheckler book to make sure!) Yeah, that IS a surfing beach & is used for some advanced training dives on better days, but Saturday was a rarity!!! This was not OUR first attempt at that beach either; most often we have to head back south, pulling into various sites along the wave (ie: Escondido Creek.) IF the conditions hold up for next Saturday, we may try it again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom