December Diving in San Diego

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Backscatter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife will be in San Diego during mid-December on business. I'm thinking of going along and trying to get in some dives. Any recommendations for a new diver?

This website caught my eye:

http://www.seaclypse.com/guideddives.html

Anybody have experience with them?

What are the water temps off San Diego that time of year? Debating on renting gear or trying to fly out with everything but tanks.

Don't have any experience with Seaclypse. However, shore dives in San Diego aren't easy. The cove can get pretty rough with the surge and the shores involves a long, long surface swim to get to the canyon where there is stuff to see. I'd look into boat dives before shore dives at your experience level. Water temps will be in the mid-40s to mid-50s. Lots of people dive 7mm in San Diego. I dive dry. That's just too cold for wet!

Actually the water is still reasonable for a 5 mil in december ...we are experiencing a slight El Nino' this year. Shore dives off of La Jolla Shores are your best bet in December. It has already began to rain so it is really a question of luck (run off) this year. Second bet is a boat dive along the lines of wreck alley. There is no kelp to speak of this year ...so LJ Shores or Wreck Alley.. Pretty sure that squid begin to spawn around mid Dec. ..so the shores could be a great drive!!!

csibert, I'll put a vote in for Lois Ann also... theyr'e always been good to me. Sorry
no experiance with Seaclypse. Many of us were on the Lois Ann today, so when the
local SanDiegans have a more extended SI, you'll get more input. Kelp will be back by Dec. and vis. will be anywhere from 5' to 30+. It's a 7mm + hood as it will be mid. 50's.
Enjoy and keep us posted on the exact dates when time gets closer. Someone will diving that day somewhere in S.D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom