Rock Pool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orangelion03

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Humor me...

Has anyone here dived or know anyone who has dived the Rock Pool at Malibu Creek State Park?

Interesting question. Haven't done it. Not sure what you might see or if the State Park Rangers would allow it.

The phone number for the rangers there: 818-880-0367

Kevfin:
Interesting question. Haven't done it. Not sure what you might see or if the State Park Rangers would allow it.

The phone number for the rangers there: 818-880-0367

Hi Kevfin. I spoke with rangers on Monday morning and they informed me that the area is public use with no limitations: swim. fish, kayak...diving with scuba gear is allowed. The problem is getting to the pool: it requires special passes, fees, insurance, etc. to bring a private vehichle into the park. The alternative is haul the gear in on our backs (and those of a few volunteer sherpas) about a mile and a half from the parking lot to the pool. I didnt ask them about the underwater characteristics of the pool though. I was told by other visitors that it's at least 15 ft deep with a lot of crevasses and overhangs. From the surface, viz appeared to be 10 ft or better.

Cheers!

orangelion03:
Hi Kevfin. I spoke with rangers on Monday morning and they informed me that the area is public use with no limitations: swim. fish, kayak...diving with scuba gear is allowed. The problem is getting to the pool: it requires special passes, fees, insurance, etc. to bring a private vehichle into the park. The alternative is haul the gear in on our backs (and those of a few volunteer sherpas) about a mile and a half from the parking lot to the pool. I didnt ask them about the underwater characteristics of the pool though. I was told by other visitors that it's at least 15 ft deep with a lot of crevasses and overhangs. From the surface, viz appeared to be 10 ft or better.

Cheers!

if it's just 15 feet then why not free dive it?

limeyx:

I'll likely do that within the next few weeks to see for myself it it's worth further exploration. It'll certainly be less gear to drag to the site!

Cheers!

limeyx:
:confused: uhm...because when free-diving, you can't (justifiably :D ) use as many snap bolts?

orangelion03:
Hi Kevfin. I spoke with rangers on Monday morning... The problem is getting to the pool: it requires special passes, fees, insurance, etc. to bring a private vehichle into the park. The alternative is haul the gear in on our backs (and those of a few volunteer sherpas) about a mile and a half from the parking lot to the pool. ...

Cheers!

Ouch, I do remember it is a long hike to get there.

As stated, I agree that free diving would be a better way...

Oh, I bet the water is cold too.

If you do it, let me/us know what it was like.

We will be doing it with wetsuits.

Happy Diving
John

HBDiveGirl:
:confused: uhm...because when free-diving, you can't (justifiably :D ) use as many snap bolts?

True. Maybe we need to invent a new variation on SCUBA -- heli-diving like they do with skiing.

just rent a helicopter, get in all geared up and let it drop you in :) (better hope the water really *is* at least 15 feet deep though!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom