Lost diver at Catalina 11/17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapro5

Contributor
Reaction score
I was at Catalina last night and heard on the radio that the GE(?) had a female diver missing at Eagle Reef.

I was diving around bird rock and east of there and could see the helicopters doing search patterns and numerious boats searching.

After about 3 hours I heard over the radio that they called off the search and will be sending a dive search party out in the morning to try find the missing diver.

It was very sad to hear when they called off the search :(

If anyone hears anything further please post.

Yikes. I'm in San Diego to give a talk so I'm not on the island where I might have been able to get an update on this. Hope she was found safe.

so sad....
i heard the same news on channel 16....
haven't heard any updates.....so sad....

btw, hey roger....please let me know when you and surg are planning another dive/fish/bug hunt outting...i would LOVE to tag along! we could even use my boat.....it has the fishfinder now! wahooo!

-dan

Copied directly from diver.net/bbs

On Friday night November 17, 2006 the Great Escape was on the first day of a two-day charter with Adventure Plus a dive shop in St George, Utah.
The night dive was at Eagle Reef, Catalina Island. The conditions were dead calm with no perceptible swell, wind, or current. Daniel Goodrich (of Hurricane, Utah, age 24) and his buddy made the dive. At the end of the dive Daniel and his dive buddy surfaced together. Somehow Daniel lost his weight belt on the way up. When they reached the surface Daniel had 500 psi and his buddy had 400 psi remaining in their tanks. Instead of leaving the weight belt, Daniel and his buddy decided to go back down to retrieve it. On the way back down they became separated. Daniel’s buddy surfaced, but could not find Daniel. He swam back to the boat and reported Daniel missing.
A search was initiated which included Baywatch and the Coast Guard. The next morning Baywatch located Daniel’s body at a depth of 65 ft. lying on top of his weight belt.
Daniel Goodrich is survived by his wife and two children.

My condolences to the family...Weights are so not worth a life....soooo very sad:(

Ilovesherwood:
Copied directly from diver.net/bbs

On Friday night November 17, 2006 the Great Escape was on the first day of a two-day charter with Adventure Plus a dive shop in St George, Utah.
The night dive was at Eagle Reef, Catalina Island. The conditions were dead calm with no perceptible swell, wind, or current. Daniel Goodrich (of Hurricane, Utah, age 24) and his buddy made the dive. At the end of the dive Daniel and his dive buddy surfaced together. Somehow Daniel lost his weight belt on the way up. When they reached the surface Daniel had 500 psi and his buddy had 400 psi remaining in their tanks. Instead of leaving the weight belt, Daniel and his buddy decided to go back down to retrieve it. On the way back down they became separated. Daniel’s buddy surfaced, but could not find Daniel. He swam back to the boat and reported Daniel missing.
A search was initiated which included Baywatch and the Coast Guard. The next morning Baywatch located Daniel’s body at a depth of 65 ft. lying on top of his weight belt.
Daniel Goodrich is survived by his wife and two children.

It hit me the second time reading this. How did Daniel go back to down to look for his weight belt without a weight belt? And he certainly was not negatively buoyant enough to just be sitting on top of his weight belt at the bottom without weights yada yada. The info in the clip above must be a bit skewed.

In any case....very sad to hear about. :(

So sad. Daniel must have borrowed his buddy's weights to go back down. Lead is not worth a life. My condolence’s to his family.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom