Tips for staying at Pavillion Lodge on Catalina?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My buddy and I are staying at the Pavillion Lodge this Friday and Saturday night, and I was wondering if anyone had any specific pointers or suggestions to help ensure we have a pleasant stay.

Specific rooms to request/avoid? Gear stowage/storage tips? Other?

How about places to eat Friday and Saturday nights?

Thanks in advance - Ray

RJP:
My buddy and I are staying at the Pavillion Lodge this Friday and Saturday night, and I was wondering if anyone had any specific pointers or suggestions to help ensure we have a pleasant stay.

Specific rooms to request/avoid? Gear stowage/storage tips? Other?

How about places to eat Friday and Saturday nights?

Thanks in advance - Ray

But only one place to dine, and that's the Country Club.

Huge room, gigantic fireplace, cloth napkins, ceramic dinnerware, glass stemwear, fine table linens, etc. Its not only the best dining, its also the best meal in Avalon. And get this: the place is always EMPTY. Pablo is an exceptional server.

Supurb 'tizers, amazing dalads, free-range and organic entrees, quaffable wine list.

Two words: Bread pudding, my man. Bread pudding.

If you want to dine, go to the Country Club.

If you wanna grub, go to Antonios.

If you want the best broiled fish on the island, its Armstrongs. Misquete grilled fish. Simple, delish.

If you want Italian, with all of the noise and bussle of an Italian Bistro, go to Porto Fino.

Overrated steaks await you upstairs at Stevens Steakhouse (I think that's the name of it...)

Lots of ways to feed yourself in Avalon.

---
Ken

Must admit I can not offer a single word of advice re: the Pavilion Lodge. The only time I stayed there was after a wedding reception in which I was part of the wedding party, and I was in no condition to remember anything.

I'd give them a call to ask the questions you've posed.

I may disagree with some of Ken's comments above re: food, but probably only because he has a more refined palette than I do... anything I don't have to cook myself is fine with me.

I've got to agree with Ken about the dining on the Island. My favorite is still the Ristorante Villa Portofino.

I'd like to add that I tried the Chinese food place for the first time and I have to say I really enjoyed it.

If you get in the mood for a really good burger, I'll share a secret with you and the rest of the Internet. The best burger on Catalina is at the sushi bar. I was complaining about not being able to find a decent burger one day and was told to go to the sushi bar next to Scuba Luv. It was great!

Unfortunately, I don't have any advice for the Pavillion, but you may want to check the Sticky thread at the top of this forum for more info on other things that will make your stay on Catalina better.

Have fun!

Christian

I'll second Mr. Ning's for Chinese... good service and consistent food. If you like sushi, Flip's is a must. Have never tried their hamburgers (or anyone else's I think) but Christian knows what he's talking about.

I have not been in since the big renovation was completed (maybe 2 years ago?), but they did have a storage area and a restroom with showers on the ground level in back of the office. Just avoid having your wicki (sp?) whacked at Luau Larry's, and your dive days will be fine.

I'll second KelpMermaid's advice. Heck, I've lived here 37 years and still don't know what getting your Wiki Whacked really means.

I'm not quite sure myself, but I think it's something like the 1960's - if you can remember, you weren't really there. In this case, though, you'll have a straw hat to prove it.

Second (or third) on Armstrong's and Mr. Ning's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom