SoCal dive recommendation for visitors from the NE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lisa_j

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone!
We'll be visiting LA for a few days - 5/23-5/28 - and I'd like to get a day of diving in while we're there - ideally on a weekday since Memorial Day weekend will likely be very busy!
We were initially thinking of doing a day trip to Catalina, but I'm not sure how the conditions are after last week's tragedy. I've done some browsing online and on SB for local charters, but I haven't really gotten much information.

Does anyone have any recommendations? We are not at all familiar with the area or the diving. There are 2 of us, we'll be bringing out drysuits, and we're ready to check out the Pacific waters.
Any help is appreciated!!
Thanks
Lisa

Lisa...

Dive conditions on Catalina are probably far better than portions of the mainland where red tides are affecting visibility.

The island is open again to visitors. The dive park is beckoning divers to come visit since it has been almost completely empty for the last 5-6 days (I know of only one diver who dove there... I was to join him but decided not to). And SCUBA Luv's King Neptune (as well as CDS' boat) always welcome the opportunity to go out if enough divers (4-6) sign up.

Since you are diving just for a day, it may be more cost effective to dive Catalina from a boat based on the mainland. Of course our local economy can use all the help it can get due to the impact of the recent fire.

Might wanna consider diving the Channel islands. Calboat Diving has a couple of boats going out to Santa Cruz and Anacapa throughout the week. Anyway, here's the link, http://calboatdiving.com/schedules.html

If you only have one day... you'll definitely get the most diving if you book onto a commercial boat to one of the near Channel Islands: Catalina from dive boats in Long Beach, Redondo Beach, or San Pedro. Or Anacapa and Santa Cruz Islands from Ventura boats (Spectre, Peace.)

Where in L.A. are you staying?
A shorter drive means more of the day for fun instead of traffic.

Some areas of SoCal have nice beach diving, but you're unlikely to get in the 3 dives you can enjoy on a Catalina boat, or the 4 dives you often get on the Anacapa/Santa Cruz boats.

Do you LIKE shore diving? With surge and some waves?
How's your experience with modest waves, say 2 to 3 feet at the most? (Greater than that is often not worth the effort as it usually messes up the visibility underwater.)
If you have some real surf entry experience, you may well enjoy a morning dive somewhere near where you are staying. The afternoon wind often diminshes the visibility later in the day, but not always. If you're flexible on times and days, you may really enjoy shore dives...

Tell me a little more about your location and experience, and I can offer better suggestions.

SoCal diving is an amazing experience!! No place I'd rather be.... well, except perhaps in Monterey with an scooter :eyebrow: .

~~~~~
Claudette

lisa_j:
Hi everyone!
We'll be visiting LA for a few days - 5/23-5/28 - and I'd like to get a day of diving in while we're there - ideally on a weekday since Memorial Day weekend will likely be very busy!
We were initially thinking of doing a day trip to Catalina, but I'm not sure how the conditions are after last week's tragedy. I've done some browsing online and on SB for local charters, but I haven't really gotten much information.

Does anyone have any recommendations? We are not at all familiar with the area or the diving. There are 2 of us, we'll be bringing out drysuits, and we're ready to check out the Pacific waters.
Any help is appreciated!!
Thanks
Lisa

As someone who recently had an awesome time as a first time SoCal shore diver (Thanks in a big part to Claudette and others), I highly recommend the shore diving, especially if the boat schedules don't fit into your plans. Redondo Beach Canyon was cool, and so was Point Dume. I would also suggest pairing up with some of the local SoCal folks, as they were a great bunch of folks and can give you the necessary pointers/techniques for SoCal diving.

The problem right now in Redondo is the very poor visibility. I dove there last Sunday, it's very bad right now.

Funny laughing boy!

At least you can get deeper than 25 fsw in Redondo!

Back
Top Bottom