Sports Chalet Lobster Contest Ill Conceived

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Just read the new edition of California Diving News and there on the back of the cover is an ad from Sports Chalet. It refers to a "Lobster Contest" On Sept 29th where you "bring in the largest live lobster and win."

Personally, I think this is an ill conceived contest on Sports Chalet's part and further distances me from them (after their recent SoCal dive boat debacle). Taking the largest lobster removes those with the greatest reproductive potential from the population. Many responsible sport bug hunters and marine biologists have been trying to campaign to get recreational divers to leave the big ones behind and take the smaller (and tastier ones). Commercial lobster fishers use traps which prevent the large ones from entering and are therefore a bit more responsible in terms of the size range they take.

No, I don't advocate a boycott of Sports Chalet. NetDoc wouldn't like that. In fact, I recommend that divers who share my concern about this contest walk into Sports Chalet and express their concern to the store managers. Pt. Loma, Marina del Rey, Irvine and West Hills are the four stores mentioned as participating. Send e-mail to those who are in the Sports Chalet chain-of-command.

While I don't generally have high regard for Sports Chalet, I have known a number of very good and concerned dive instructors who work for the operation. Don't harangue the manager... just present the case for abandoning this ill conceived and ill advised contest.

Dr Bill:

Thank you for stating this, I as a Reef Check volunteer scientist also share your concern. We need to be caretakers of the ocean, not spoilers for trophy hunting.

I will voice my dissention, even though since I charter boats, I have seen the full effect of Sport Chalets wrath of the Captains we all cherish.

Lets stand up as a community and say, no!

Tevis

Sam, if Dive-N-Surf is still doing this, I agree.

Time to lobby Fish and Game to put a max size limit on bugs.

Dave

Hey, don't worry, there is a bill on the table to make most of the West coast off limits to any fishing. That includes loster hunting.

muddiver:
Hey, don't worry, there is a bill on the table to make most of the West coast off limits to any fishing. That includes loster hunting.

That will never pass, and do you want to know why? Because it's moronic! That's what I call taking it too far with fanaticism.

On a sane note, Dave would you have an idea of how to make this happen? Would an online petition work? How does savethebigdaddys.com sound for a URL?

Billy

Empty V:
That will never pass, and do you want to know why? Because it's moronic! That's what I call taking it too far with fanaticism.

Billy

Never say never when it comes to California, no matter how moronic it may seem.

Recent expansion info

Dave

Teamcasa:
Never say never when it comes to California, no matter how moronic it may seem.

Recent expansion info

Dave

Wow! 8 new marine reserves? I wonder what Island their restricting us from now. Since most of Anacapa (from what I understand) is already a reserve it's wouldn't be so bad if they worked on the other side of the island. More boats going to Santa Cruz, yay! Either that or the boats don't spend the gas and everyone is screwed. This is ridiculous.

Billy

Back
Top Bottom