AAUS SCUBA requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brianmeux

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We conduct scientific work underwater, and thus are an AAUS organization. There are a few requirements in order to volunteer with us and help reforest the bay. To acquire the forms to get started or for questions answered, email Brian at bmeux@smbaykeeper.org or post on this thread.

Requirements:

-Age 18 minimum

-Rescue diver certification

-30 hours logged in Southern California conditions or tougher

-4 logged dives in the past 12 months, 2 in the past 6 months.

-Current CPR, First Aid, Oxygen Administration certifications

-Current AAUS-approved medical exam

-Scuba regulator and alternate service, by an authorized professional, within the past 12 months

-Current Scuba insurance (DAN, dive assure, etc.)

-Swim test
-400 meter swim in 12 minutes
-Underwater swim of 25 meters without surfacing
-Tread water for 10 minutes, or 2 minute tread-hands above surface

-Basic dive skills checkout dive

The list can look daunting, but it also makes you a safer diver because of it.

Brian,
Don't forget to mention that if you are a DM or higher, you are exempt from the swim test/ skills test! (Unless something has changed, of course...)

I just wanted to say that I am a VERY proud Santa Monica Baykeeper volunteer diver. I absolutely LOVE doing the work. It is amazing to keep coming back to the same areas and truly see the difference you are making. Being a Baykeeper volunteer has really opened up my eyes. I see things very differently now.

Would be happy to answer any questions from a volunteer's perspective, if anyone wants to ask.

Hope to see you on the boat soon!

heather
(level 5 treehugger)

Back
Top Bottom