Emergency Contact Numbers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevfin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I created this when I was learning to be a DM. I should have shared this years ago, but it wasn't until now that I realized folks may want this stuff. Sorry for the delay... :(

This information does not apply to more southern areas (my apologies), but it would be kind of cool to make this a sticky and have folks from So/Cal add pertinent information.

St. Johns Pleasant Valley (805)389-5944 or (805) 389-5800
2309 Antonio Ave, Camarillo
From Anacapa 18 mi by boat, 22 miles by car

Los Robles (805) 497-3954
215 W Janss Rd, Thousand Oaks
From Anacapa boat 18 mi, car 32 miles by car

UCLA Gonda (Chamber)
200 Medical Plaza, Suite B265-29
(310)794-9014
Phone 24 hour: 1800-UCLA888

Ventura County Medical Center (805) 652-6000,
3291 Loma Vista Rd, Ventura
From Anacapa boat 18 mi, car 3 miles by car
**No Chamber**

Santa Monica-UCLA Medical Center (310) 319-4765
(310) 319-4000 (310) 319-4700
1250 16th St, Santa Monica
**No Chamber**

USC Catalina Marine Lab
310-510-1053
* Transportation Method: Coast Guard Helo or boat

# Local EMS telephone number – Catalina Baywatch: Channel 16
# United States Coast Guard – Channel 16 on Marine VHF Radio
# Diver’s Alert Network (DAN): 1-919-684-8111 or 1-800-326-3822

1-310-457-2525 Zuma

1-310-394-3263 Santa Monica HQ

1-310-215-2112 U.S. Coast Guard

For a list of chambers and Physicians Certified in Diving and Hyperbaric Medicine

California Diving Physicians

The number you have listed for USC is the chamber EMERGENCY line- The office line is 310-510-4020. The LA County MAC (Medic Alert Center) coordinates chamber treatments in LA County- 323-869-0578.

Remember that not all of the chambers are open 24 hours so check first before wasting time driving around with an injured diver. (Even if available staff may have to be called up for a treatment) The local EMS folks will have procedures in place to locate the closest available chamber.

Hi Tom!

Well you've gotta admit that calling the the Chamber Emergency Line at 3am-in-the-morning will certainly roust us out of our bunks, whether there's an incoming treatment or not (at least it'll gimme a headstart in putting in my contact lenses:wink: ). . .

Yep, but it gets old when it's someone wanting to know when the next class is at 2 in the morning.

Great list! I'm going to print it on waterproof paper and put on in my wetnotes and another in my DAN O2 kit.

Anyone have any numbers to add to this?

Anyone have any numbers to add to this?

At the risk of sounding like a commercial for Reef Seekers . . .

:D

Here's the link to our webpage of emergency and non-emergency numbers:

Emergency Numbers

-Ken

I confirm/update the Emergency Contact numbers on our website each year. Some have changed, especially since this thread was started 10 years ago. Here's a link to my web page with the correct (as of 11/26/17) numbers: Emergency Numbers .

Here's the text:

IF YOU'RE ON THE WATER IN A BOAT (PRIVATE & COMMERCIAL) AND HAVE A DIVING EMERGENCY
WHICH REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ASSISTANCE OR EVACUATION:
MARINE RADIO: Channel 16.

Call for the Coast Guard, state the vessel name and location, declare that you have a scuba diving emergency which requires immediate assistance. When USCG responds, start with the condition opf your diver in distress: conscious or unconscious and breathing or non-breathing. USCG will move you to another channel, get more detailed info, and dispatch help. (It takes a while, so try to be as patient and calm as possible given the circumstances.) The L.A County Lifeguards and the Chamber (as well as some other agencies) also monitor Channel 16 and should also hear what's going on.
If radio contact is not an option and you have a cell phone with service, you can also use the emergency numbers listed below.

IF YOU THINK YOU'RE BENT OR EMBOLI ZED
• • • SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA ONLY • • •

Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber: 310/510-1053 (emergencies only)

L.A. County Medic Alert Center: 866/940-4401, then push "1"and tell the operator you have a scuba diving emergency
and need to speak to the hyperbaric physician on call

UCLA Hyperbaric Center (Gonda Wound Care Center): 310/794-9014
(AFTER HOURS - 310/825-6301 and ask to page the on-call hyperbaric physician)

• • • EVERYWHERE ELSE INCLUDING INTERNATIONAL • • •
D.A.N. (Divers Alert Network): 919/684-9111 (they will accept a collect call from anywhere in the world)
Also: 800/326-3822

NON-EMERGENCY DIVING MEDICINE QUESTIONS

Catalina Chamber: 310/510-4020
D.A.N.: 800/446-2671 (M-F, 8:00A-8:00PM ET)

OTHER EMERGENCY NUMBERS
D.A.N. Travel Assist (non-diving emergencies): 866/330-7984

Interesting.

From a UK perspective. We have emergency numbers that we can ring, it used to be the Royal Navy Emergency Decompression number. Now it is the BHA (British Hyperbaric Association) or for Scotland Aberdeen Royal Infirmary

England, Wales, Northern Ireland - 07831 151 523
Scotland - 0345 408 6008

The best number is the coastguard either via VHF(channel 16) or 999 (112).
The big advantage of the coastguard is their primary role is co-ordination of rescue. So they know which chambers are available, they can scramble Air Sea rescue (even inland) - both helicopters and RNLI, Ambulance and medical helicopters. In addition, they will provide medical advice via a medical hookup if required.

Does this not happen in the USA?

Interesting.

From a UK perspective. We have emergency numbers that we can ring, it used to be the Royal Navy Emergency Decompression number. Now it is the BHA (British Hyperbaric Association) or for Scotland Aberdeen Royal Infirmary

England, Wales, Northern Ireland - 07831 151 523
Scotland - 0345 408 6008

The best number is the coastguard either via VHF(channel 16) or 999 (112).
The big advantage of the coastguard is their primary role is co-ordination of rescue. So they know which chambers are available, they can scramble Air Sea rescue (even inland) - both helicopters and RNLI, Ambulance and medical helicopters. In addition, they will provide medical advice via a medical hookup if required.

Does this not happen in the USA?
Yes!

Although coastal and off-shore Central & Southern California are a unique region and special model within the USA, in that we have the only two civilian multiplace double-lock Recompression Chambers on 24/7 & 365 days stand-by, specifically and solely dedicated for the emergency treatment of Diving Accidents and the entire spectrum of DCI Casualties -from simple type I DCS to critically acute AGE in full arrest & near drowning patients. These facilities are seamlessly integrated within the rescue missions of both the US Coast Guard and local county/municipal government emergency medical services:

About > USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber > USC Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences

About Us – Pacific Grove Hyperbaric Chamber

In addition we have as back-up two additional multiplace Recompression Facilities in public medical centers, run by the University of California:

UCLA Hyperbaric Medicine specializes in the management of complex wounds, decompression sickness (DCS), late radiation injuries and more. UCLA Health - Los Angeles, CA

Hyperbaric Medicine and Wound Care at UC San Diego Health

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom