...If not the Coronados...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boxinchef

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I posted about getting to the Coronados yesterday and by the looks of it that may not be possible for when we want to go.

We will be diving Catalina (boat dives) earlier in the trip so we'd like to do something a little different in San Deigo than the kelp forrests (which I hear are best in Catalina anyhow). What would be our best boat dive bet as fairly novice divers (22 dives) to see the most sea life and perhaps landscape?

Thanks

Considering your goals and experience level, the I'd probably avoid the wrecks and go with the local coastal diving. While San Diego is well known for its own "wreck alley," the wrecks can be deep and there's not much landscape to see there. They are beautiful for certain, covered in colorful anemones, brittle stars, and nudibranchs, but some of the wrecks can get deep and cold. The Yukon, for example, bottoms out at about 100fsw and temps can be in the low 50's.

Some boats go to local spots like Scripps Canyon and other Kelp Beds. I'd call around for the day you want to go and see who's going where. While the species and diving experience you have will be similar to Catalina, it will be a different spot, with different wildlife. The kelp is beautiful wherever you go along the California coast. I would say that when the visibility is up, it's just as good in San Diego as in Catalina. There is so much wildlife to see that for certain you will discover something you didn't experience on your prior trip in Catalina. Who knows what it would be... a feeding bat ray? a sarcastic fringehead? a halibut? mantis shrimp? who knows. There's a lot out there and every time I go it's different. Best of luck!

Don't discount the Yukon. While it bottoms out at 100 fsw, parts of it are as shallow as 55 fsw, depending on tides. You can spend two dives just cruising the decks without going inside anything, so even a relatively new diver can enjoy it in safety.

I would not recommend Scripps Canyon for a relatively new diver. The dive will be at least 100fsw...and, of course, it can get quite cold down there (50 degrees F). That being said, it's a spectacular dive. You'll see lots of nudibranchs and swell sharks.

I would recommend the Point Loma Kelp beds. Depths can be shallower with lots to see...when the vis is good.

Skip the Coronados. In my opinion, it's not worth the boat ride out there. The only thing worth checking out are the sea lions. They can be playful.

3 fingers is a nice spot via boat...it has lots of life and its not too deep and the kelp is cool...call around to see who is going there the day you are available

Back
Top Bottom