New diver wanting to get open water certified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi, I want to learn how to dive and get my open water cert.

Any recommendations where to learn?

I heard good things about Liburdi's Scuba Center but i just called them and they said they are moving...

There's a Sports Chalet in Irvine but i hear mixed things about them. If anyone has more stories, I would like to hear.

Thanks!

I could help if you lived in Florida.My suggestion is to pay them a visit instead of calling.You can size em up better and find someone youll like.Until then,keep looking.Pricing around here is 250-350 dollars.

Try to find a local dive club & talk to the members about instructors & dive shops.

John

I have never heard anything bad about the Irvine Sports Chalet. If it is convenient to where you live, I would go check it out yourself.

They have a real shop and have heard good things about their staff. I think they are in OC.

Scuba.com is between Liburdis and the Irvine Sports Chalet, but does not have a pool on site. Neither does Pacific Wilderness in Orange. That may not be a big deal to you, but it is convenient to have a pool right on site.

Laguna Sea Sports was bought by Beach Cities which does not hold classes there. You would probably have to go to Dana Point for the classroom work and you might get sent to their Cypress store for pool work. Don't assume the pool work will be at the Laguna store.

All of the stores mentioned have generally good reputations and I am sure they all have their share of detractors as well. Assuming you visit one or two and have a good feeling about the stores, I would pick the one that is most convenient in terms of location and class schedule.

Sport Chalet in Torrance is Great.

Back
Top Bottom