A few pieces of information about the fatality at Farnsworth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MHK

Reaction score
As many of you know there was another fatality over the weekend at Farnsworth bank. I've had a few people send me some e-mails that either were on the boat, or have discussed the matter with someone that was on the boat. I, myself, was not on the boat so this is at best a second hand accounting, so in other words don't take this as gospel, but I'm pretty comfortable with the reports and the consistency between them..

The female victim [name being withheld by me] was a 26 year old, recent law school graduate. She had over 100 logged dives and arrived on the Horizon without a buddy. The trip was organized by an individual, not a shop or club, but the victim did buddy up with another diver. As I understand it the buddy has been diving on and off for 15 years and considers himself moderately active [ I have had no discussions with him]. The victim was diving new equipment [ ie; a new BC, that she asked the crew for assitance with setting up], however no reports have indicated that the BC was the cause of the accident.. Upon descent, the victim at approx. 80' appeared to have paniced and began ascending rather rapidly. The reports are that they ascended to "nearly" the surface, when the two became separated. The buddy surfaced and signalled for help. The DM apparently very quickly began a search and found the body at 146' [ not at 40' as was previsouly reported], he brought her to the surface and began resucitation efforts, while emergency personel were called and the Chamber was notified.

Obviously all efforts were to no avail, however from all accounts the crew and DM did the best they could do under the circumstances, and as someone who has been in that position my hats off to the crew, and my condolences to the family..

I'm trying to confirm a few more details and then I will provide an accident analysis for consideration, but as the summer dive season begins it's important to those that haven't been diving in a while to spend some time doing tune up dives at shallow depths just to revisit skills and get back in the swing of things..

That's all I know for now..

Later

I honestly hadn't heard about this yet.

Was it Saturday? I was in Avalon and there was a lot going on with the Helecopter in the afternoon. Could that have been all the Coast Guard hoopla? Man.

Prayers for the family. Thanks for the note.

K

I am not familiar with the dive site, but my map lists it as an advanced dive, presumably due to depth
(54' - 135+).

Very sorry to hear...

--Sean

I also am now just hearing of this.

That is one of those boat trips i have paid to go to farnsworth, but time after time we never get there due to conditions. I have yet to dive it after many trys.

Very sad news, my condolences to her family and friends

Andy

Keep us posted MHK

This is, indeed, sad news. I suppose it will be a while, if ever, before all of the details are known. Farnsworth is an interesting site -- I recently posted a not-so-great picture of the purple hydrocoral -- but it can be deep and is subject to open ocean currents.

I was out at Avalon this weekend too and saw the coast guard out there. Wonder what they were up too and if it had anything to do with this incident.

My thoughts go out to the family. Sad occurance. :(

Dr. Bill here from Avalon.

I, too, noticed the Coast Guard helicopter this weekend. However, I don't believe it had anything to do with the diving accident at Farnsworth. They seemed to be undergoing practice drills with the helicopter and I don't remember seeing it head in the direction of Farnsworth Bank on the other side.

It would be my opinion (and strictly that) that the boat would be the quickest access to the chamber at Two Harbors since the Farnsworth dive site is near Cat Harbor on the back side.

Always a shame to hear of a diver dying. Of course it is also a shame to hear of all the people dying on LA Freeways.

Dr. Bil

Words can not express our sorrow, it will be one year May 17th since our daughter Michelle's death at Farnswoth. Her death ruled undetermined by the coroners office. Her buddie claimed she panicked therefore he left her. She died in the 1rst 2 minutes of her dive. I don't know much about diving and struggle daily with the thought that my daughter who was only 4'8" was left to die alone.I'm putting this post out in memorie of our daughter and in the hope that this will be a reminder to all divers to have a great time but never become complaisant.

I've dove Farnsworth, it is most certainly an advanced dive. The day we were there, the current was moderate to strong and got worse as the dive went on. I ALMOST missed my safety stop by over shooting the weight hanging at 15 or 20 feet. It took ALL MY STRENGTH to grab my buddies back and get a hold of the line. His tank was the closest thing I could grab onto. If I could have, I would have had him TURN AROUND and extend his arm, but I made it anyway. Phew. I was so exhausted after that; I sat out the next dive. But I wasn’t about to miss my safety stop after what was my second deep dive of that day, day two on a three day diving weekend.

I am so very sorry to hear about another loss. I offer my sincerest condolences to her family and friends.

DAN usually comes out with a report at the end of each year. They may or may not offer more light on diving accidents than the coroner’s office.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom