Video: Redondo Beach; angel shark and mating crabs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leabre

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I finally took my Flip HD on a night dive to Veterans Park (Redondo Beach). It does not take good low-light video. The Pro-V8 lighting that comes with it could be better. The camera has hard time focusing so there isn't a whole lotta usable video. I'll next take it on a night dive when I have better lighting for it.

Until then, I did capture an Angel Shark and more crab specicies than I knew existed, including a baby horn shark.

Enjoy!

YouTube - Scuba: Veterans Park (11-4-2009) Night Dive with Flip HD & Ikelite Housing

Nice Shawn! But does the Flip camera actually focus? I thought it was a fixed-focus lens. Anything closer than about a meter and a half will be blurry, and with night diving you're probably shooting more close-range subjects than you do in the daytime.

Gombessa, you are correct. It is fixed focus and most of the night shots came out blurry. But during the day it only "loses" focus at about 12 inches. At night, it seems to be 3 ft or less is out of focus or too saturated with light most of the time. I think the lighting has something to do with it, because I have a lot more video not shown where I wasn't using the Ikelite light, and the shots came out really well at any distance.

So I finally took my Flip HD on a night dive to Veterans Park (Redondo Beach).

We were diving off palos verdes at 9:30PM. There was also a commercial boat off palos verdes with a number of divers in the water as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom