Advice for Laguna Beach for the end of July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

handben

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I plan to stay with family in Laguna Beach for a week at the end of July and am hoping to get in some diving while there. Most of my diving has been relatively warm; but I have done some cold East Coast quarry dives in my dry suit. I have a few questions for the Southern California divers. Should I plan to dive dry or wet? I do have a 7mm with hood and gloves as well. I think I'd be ok down to around 60 degrees in my wetsuit. How do most of the locals dive?

In terms of the diving, should I plan shore dives or boat dives. I've seen that there are a few beaches in the Laguna area that have shore diving. Are there also nearby kelp beds accessible by boat? If so which are good operators.

I'd like to do a liveaboard to the Channel Islands, but can't take that much time away from the family; is a daytrip to Catalina a good compromise? Thanks to all for you help and advise. Ben in Baltimore.

There is a new dive charter operation in nearby Dana Point RIVIERA Yacht Charters, Dana Point, California
They make local dives in Orange County.
The water temps in Laguna Beach are usually in the mid 60s by then, so a 7mm wetsuit should be fine. You would have to bring a shovel to get much deeper than 45 feet in Laguna, so the temperatures will be constant.
There are more than a dozen beach dive sites in the city, all with relatively easy access except Thousand Steps.

Ben, let us know when you plan to get away a week or so before and I'm sure there will be a local willing to get wet with you.
Here is some links for you to check out:
Beaches in Laguna Beach California for local shore dives...late July should be over 60*f and most of us dive 7mm in the summer.
California Dive Boats : The Official Page for most California charters....going over to Catalina will get you better viz and better IMHO. Alot of going out of Long Beach and San Pedro. Heck even San Diego is less than two hours drive.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/socal/231885-updated-great-catalina-island-info-sticky-thread.html A great option is a day trip to the dive park in Avalon, Catalina.
Enjoy and hope you enjoy our wonderful cool water.

I really like Laguna as a shore dive, but a day trip to Catalina would definitely be worth it. The new boat Riviera, Sundiver Express or even the Catalina Express to the dive park can all be done and back by dinner.

Thanks to all for the helpful advice. One other quick question. Should I lug my lead (will have to bring enough for 2 divers) or is this readily available when renting tanks?

Water has been about 65° as of late, by the end of july it'll probably be closer to 70°--7mm wetsuit will probably be all you need (last summer I wasn't using a hood or gloves). Like others have said, there's lots of shore sites out there; overall my favorite is Diver's cove, so I'd recommend checking it out (also, Shaw's cove is nearby and is probably Laguna's most popular site). If you don't mind a fairly long surface swim, there's a large kelp bed that you can get to from Heisler Park (dive site next to Diver's cove) or there's a smaller one closer to shore you can access from Divers cove (these beds are visible from the surface). If you want to check conditions for Laguna (including temp) go to:

Dive Conditions in Laguna Beach California

Another issue is that we have been getting hammered by south swells lately with this being an El Nino year. Make sure you check the conditions before you even attempt to go out. If not experienced on beach dives don't try and push it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom