Chris and Marc dive the UB88

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackwood

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified

Simply awesome. Maybe it's the allure of diving something that's been so shrouded in secrecy, or maybe it was just an cool dive. Lots of ambient light even at 188 feet, more fish density than I've ever seen, very little fishing net, reasonably warm, a couple of wolf eels, lots of big lingcod, a gigantic flag rock fish, and not terribly much current at depth.

Great dive.

Attachments

• UB88profile.jpg
    UB88profile.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Very nice; glad that low pressure system that came through was weak enough not to stir-up the sea & weather conditions. Looks like a 54m/180' ave depth for 23-25min BT for RD 1:2 (subtract 10min from reference setpoint 60m/200').

What was your SAC/RMV and how much backgas & deco gas did either of y'all consume?

Very nice; glad that low pressure system that came through was weak enough not to stir-up the sea & weather conditions. Looks like a 54m/180' ave depth for 23-25min BT for RD 1:2 (subtract 10min from reference setpoint 60m/200').

What was your SAC/RMV and how much backgas & deco gas did either of y'all consume?

Hey Kev, I used about 1500PSI in 130s which works out to a little less than .6CFM/atm (150 foot average for 36 minutes until the first switch).

We were working in current on deco (didn't scooter until 20 feet). I don't know exactly how much 50% I used, but I know I consumed 13CF on the 6 minute stop at 70 feet (.7CFM/atm). Used 24CF of oxygen (breathing it from 20 to the surface).

I guess I should have gone out there instead. It's a real fish magnet, isn't it?

Yah, it's pretty ridiculous. When I first saw your footage I was amazed. Being amongst those schools in person just blows you away though.

Yup, 180' average for 25 minutes; 1:2 RD for 40 minutes of deco.

I used about as much gas as Blackwood (a bit more on the bottom, a bit less on deco).

This was an amazing dive. Visibility on the bottom was excellent, hardly any current there either. The wreck is just covered in life! Absolutely gorgeous.

Marc, your video is extremely good. Some really great shots. Love the use of color and B/W footage.

I'll post up what I shot shortly.

Highest fish densities I've seen in SoCal (including Ship Rock and Farnsworth). A real treat.

Thank you, Phil, for making this accessible to the local dive community!

I guess I should have gone out there instead. It's a real fish magnet, isn't it?

Really nice stuff, guys. Amazing amount of fish. Thanks for sharing the videos and profiles.

Bejesus. Somewhere in there I think I saw a wreck, really though, you'd need some fish-b-gone if you ever want to see it!

Very, very neat videos guys! Thanks for sharing. If I ever needed motivation for tech training, the 88 seems to be it.

Back
Top Bottom