Catalina Cattle Boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As former V.P. of the Catalina Conservancy, I administratively oversaw the formerly annual roundup and shipment of the bison. Now we do it every other year due to the time and costs involved. It is important to cull the herd to reasonable levels to ensure they do minimal damage to the native ecosystems, but are there for visitors and residents to enjoy.

My opinion is that the island isn't good for the bison (due to reversed vegetation peaks and calf nursing periods). However there are economic factors that dominate this debate.

My personal opinion of Bill Dyer and the IDA is that they employ deceptive methods and mediaa ttacks to bolster donations to the organization. Bill Dyer may have sincere feelings for the animals, but he has shown what in the opinion of several here was disregard for the truth, for the integrity of others, etc. For example he had a talk radio host call me at my home while I was still in bed, then attack me by surprise after I made a statement (not knowing he was there). Another example is that the IDA violated several oral and a written agreement, although they felt we (the Conservancy) had.

At least the situation is a potential "win win" with the bison getting new homes more in line ecologically with their former range, and the island limits the numbers present here.

Time to dive!

Dr. Bill

This is too cool.

Regarding the above - we took the 5:45 PM from Av to LB a couple Sunday's ago... unreal. I've been going over and back for years, but I have NEVER been crushed onto a boat like that before. It was Sard city. Of course, if Arnaud didn't stay under so long, and wasn't the last guy back on the King that 3rd dive, we probably wouldn't have been the last guys on the boat. :D

Nice news story - thanks.

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom